Research Associate, Development
Employment Type: Full-Time
Zymergen is hiring a distinctive Research Associate to develop methods for high-throughput microbial strain engineering. The Research Associate will join a Development team that works in collaboration with partner companies to advance the tools and techniques applied to existing microbes used in large scale industrial fermentation. At Zymergen, the Research Associate will work together with other scientists, automation engineers, and software engineers to develop protocols for high-throughput microbial strain engineering, plate models for microbe growth and production, and then enable their use in high throughput workflows.
Immediate responsibilities include:
* Building DNA assemblies using cutting edge molecular biology methods
* Using software tools for DNA analysis and design
* Transforming a variety of host microbes (bacteria, yeast, filamentous fungi)
* Culturing a variety of host microbes in 96 well format
* Applying a broad range of laboratory methods including PCR, DNA and protein electrophoresis, western blotting, spectrophotometry, and other plate-based assays to QC and test strains
* Preparing materials including media and buffers, managing experiment schedules, processing materials, and collecting, storing and analyzing data
* Using automation tools to increase experimental throughput
* Communicating experimental results to the project team and documenting experimental design and results
The Development team is integral to the development of protocols that enable the construction and screening of thousands of microbes per week. Members of the Development team need to be well-versed in molecular and microbiology, creative, organized, energetic, collaborative, and fully engaged in the execution of experiments. We need team members that are passionate about microbial engineering and excited to develop new methods and protocols.
We favor candidates with substantial experience designing and executing experiments in the lab: MS with 1+ years of working experience, or a BS with 1-2+ years working experience. We are interested in candidates with technical training in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or engineering. Lastly, we look for candidates that have displayed excellence and high achievement in previous technical and non-technical work.
We prefer RAs with experience in some or all of the following areas.
Protocols and Equipment:
* Familiarity with techniques in molecular biology, including PCR, DNA assembly, DNA sequencing sample prep, microbe transformation (bacteria, yeast, filamentous fungi); with cell physiology in microtiter plate models and in bench-scale fermentation; and with assay such as plate-based enzymatic assays, or other optical measurements
* Experience using lab automation (Beckman, Tecan, etc.) to enable complicated or high-throughput protocols
* Proficiency in the use of analytical equipment such as plate readers or automated DNA electrophoresis systems
Operations and Data Analysis:
* Experience writing, optimizing, and following complicated SOPs
* Capability to manage multiple ongoing multi-day workflows, including preparing reagents and materials, and managing the implementation
* Familiarity with concepts in statistics, tools to analyze data such as excel, jmp, or Spotfire
Previous experience in the field of synthetic biology is a plus.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and headquartered in the SF Bay Area, Zymergen is a science and material innovation company rethinking biology and reimagining the world. A World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer, Zymergen partners with nature to create never-before imagined materials and products across industries - from agriculture to consumer electronics, personal care to pharmaceuticals, and more. The company's materials are in use today, creating value for Fortune 1000 companies and major corporations across the globe. Our clients have sold over $1 billion worth of products using Zymergen microbial strains. For more information visit: www.zymergen.com.