Engineering Manager, Custom Objects
Employment Type: Full-Time
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
Support is Zendesk's flagship product and the Custom Objects team enables our data extensibility and allows customers to integrated Zendesk Support into their business workflow. We deal with millions of transactions each day. With the ongoing company's growth, we're now seeking an experienced Engineering professional to lead and develop our team in San Francisco, which is focused on preparing us for the next-generation architecture.
As the Engineering Manager at Zendesk, you'll utilize both your leadership and your technical expertise to guide and enable our team of talented engineers. As a leader, you'll ensure that they're shipping architecturally-sound software at a regular cadence.
What you get to do every day:
* Recruit, onboard, and develop talented software engineers for the team.
* Be hands-on - you'll contribute to the core Zendesk Support codebase on a regular basis.
* Help us re-architect our systems to become the foundation of Zendesk's next-gen data model platform.
* Collaborate closely with multiple teams across the globe to deliver effectively.
* Grow and mature the team so that they can take ownership of the codebase and undertake full end-to-end projects.
* Influence good architectural decisions, balanced by the reality of our business strategy.
* Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle including being a principal collaborator with Product Managers to define product specifications.
* Review code submissions of junior staff mentoring and guiding them throughout the process.
* Successfully move an application through QA and production stages in our continuous integration environment through to deployment.
* Proactively seeking out and help to minimize pain points within the infrastructure and codebase of Zendesk's application.
* Work in a dynamic agile team where best practices for delivering excellence and high availability software is everything.
What you bring to the role:
* 5-8 years of IC experience
* Proficiency in one or more engineering languages, preferably Ruby, Java, Scala or Go
* Experience working in a large scale data platform
* 2-3 years of experience managing
* You understand how a platform team works and know how to define its boundaries well.
* Proven experience in a progressive software development environment, preferably in SaaS, using Ruby on Rails, Java, Scala & Go.
* The ability to juggle multiple sub-teams working on disparate domains of the system. Think data model, data platform, and user experience.
* Previous responsibility for the management and development of a Software Engineering team.
* Great communication skills, both written and verbal.
* A quality, balanced approach to development and testing.
* A love of problem-solving.
* Being comfortable getting onto production servers and delving into the logs becomes important. When problems occur we work with the operations team to help figure out what's going on and how to fix it.
* Experience working in an agile development environment.
* You love helping everyone improve their code, working together with the team on Github and the PR process.
* Perks include a competitive salary package as well as stock, flexible working hours, a fully stocked kitchen! We're also keen on ongoing learning so you'll develop your skills through pair programming, lunch and learns, hackathons, lab days to experiment with new ideas, and a yearly training allowance too. In addition, you'll be invited, and encouraged, to take part in company-sponsored volunteer initiatives.
If you are passionate about working on a core product element with an incredible scale, our friendly, supportive & diverse team is for you.
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth.
More than 150,000 paid customer accounts in over 150 countries and territories use Zendesk products. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster global diversity, equity, & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk's use of your personal information.