Truck Driver Student
Employment Type: Full-Time
Pay starts at $19.56
Logistics done differently.
At XPO Logistics, we're constantly looking for talented individuals at all levels, who can deliver the caliber of service our company requires. The Driver Sales Representative (DSR) External Driving School Scholarship Program provides a scholarship (up to $5,000) to attend an external driving school where you will work to complete courses to obtain a Commercial Driver's License-A (CDL-A). While completing the external driving school, you will work a limited number of hours as a dockworker each week. Upon successful completion of the external driving school program, you will be eligible to test to obtain a Commercial Driver's License-A (CDL-A) with hazardous materials endorsements, tanker endorsement and doubles/triples endorsements; and upon meeting all other company requirements, you may be eligible to be offered a Driver Sales Representative position.
What you'll do on a typical day:
* Attend training at an external driving school to be eligible to test to obtain a CDL-A
* Gain on-the-job experience in the Less-than-Truckload (LTL) industry
* Unload and load freight off/on trailers with a forklift
* Perform vehicle inspections, under supervision, as required under section 396.13 of the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations (FMCSR)
* Maintain records in accordance with FMCSR, DOT and company policies
* Verify and complete required documentation and reports
* Handle hazardous materials and adhere to company safety policies
* Maintain contact with service center personnel in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you'll need:
* To be at least 21 years old
* A safe driving record and history
* To pass DOT drug test and have no prior positive tests or refusals; pass a company-paid DOT physical
* To pass a company-paid post-offer, pre-hire, screen test (physical essential functions); perform essential functions with or without an accommodation
* Availability to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings, nights and weekends
It'd be great if you also have:
* Forklift experience
This job requires the ability to:
* Lift freight and other objects of various shapes, sizes and weights up to 50 lbs. frequently and more than 75 lbs. occasionally
* Safely operate heavy equipment; move and position a converter dolly with an average weight/pull force of approximately 128 lbs.
* Walk and stand for extended periods of time on various surfaces that may be uneven or slippery; work in adverse weather conditions; climb in and out of a tractor cab and trailer, and sit for extended periods of time in a truck tractor and/or forklift
* Reach (including above your head), bend, climb, push, pull, twist, squat and kneel
* Operate a tractor-trailer combination (under supervision) up to 11 consecutive hours, in all types of weather, while safely transporting hazardous/non-hazardous materials
Be part of something big.
XPO is a leading provider of cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the most successful companies in the world. We help our customers manage their goods most efficiently using our technology and services. Our greatest strength is our global team - energetic, innovative people of all experience levels and talents who make XPO a great place to work.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
XPO adheres to CDC, OSHA and state and local requirements regarding COVID safety. All employees and visitors are expected to comply with XPO policies which are in place to safeguard our employees and customers.
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment may be required to take and pass a pre-employment drug test.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Nearest Major Market: Salinas
Job Segment: Intern, Outside Sales, Logistics, Supply, Supply Chain, Entry Level, Sales, Operations
Apply now '