Lead Architectural Acoustics Consultant
Employment Type: Full-Time
WSP, an award‑winning and innovative multi‑disciplinary engineering consulting firm, is looking for a Lead Consultant for our Acoustics, Noise & Vibration Control practice specializing in Architectural Acoustics for any of our Southern California offices. Additional experience with audiovisual system design is preferred, but not required. WSP works closely with architects and owners from around the world on large, complex projects with a focus on sustainability and energy performance of the built environment.
About the Job
Our Engineers work on high quality, high-profile, national and international projects. You will actively participate in the full project cycle, from the design phase through the final construction close-out. WSP offers excellent growth opportunities.
* Lead design & analysis efforts for architectural acoustics in commercial high-rise buildings & tenant improvement projects, healthcare facilities, educational facilities, science & technology facilities, hotel/residential/mixed use buildings, sports stadiums, airports, large transit facilities, and public venues.
* Develop design criteria, conduct analyses, and provide detailed recommendations and reports including product specification, as well as detailing of recommended assemblies and device installations.
* Coordinate acoustical performance criteria and design guidance with design team members including architects, MEP engineers, structural engineers, and technology systems designers.
* Work with architects and design engineers to implement cost-effective, high-performance approaches to optimize speech intelligibility, reverberation, privacy, noise levels, and overall interior acoustic quality for a wide range of facility and space types.
* Work with mechanical engineers, structural engineers, contractors, manufacturers, and third-party consultants to develop project-specific recommendations regarding building systems noise and vibration control methods.
* Conduct field measurements, as needed, to document acoustical data including interior reverberation, speech transmission index, transmission loss, interior noise levels, exterior day/night noise levels, and structure-borne vibration.
* Utilize professional acoustical computer modeling programs to model acoustical environments, transmission loss of partition assemblies, calculate building system noise levels, model exterior noise emission, and assess intelligibility & performance of audio reproduction and reinforcement systems.
* Participate in site walks and inspections to identify sources of noise, pathways for transmission, and assess quality of installation of acoustical finishes, floor assemblies, partitions, penetrations, and vibration isolation devices.
* Provide technical design subject-matter expertise during construction and system implementation.
* Attend and participate in project meetings (local and out-of-town).
* Participate in project management and business development tasks.
* Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Acoustics, Audio Technology, or similar degree with coursework in architectural acoustics.
* 7+ years of professional acoustical analysis and design consulting experience, with a combination of interior room acoustics, sound isolation, HVAC systems noise & vibration control design experience, as well as field measurement experience.
* Strong working knowledge of all acoustic design metrics, and their application in architectural, communications systems, and mechanical systems design.
* Working knowledge of applicable ISO, ASTM, and ANSI standards related to acoustical measurement, analysis, and modeling, including international standards.
* Understanding of typical architectural design & construction process.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on the ability to organize and present design information to clients and staff.
* Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience in developing relationships with staff and clients.
* Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software.
* Client focus, with a commitment to quality and problem solving.
* Experience in writing proposals and/or managing acoustic design projects.
* Advanced (Masters or Doctorate) degree in Architectural Acoustics, Audio Technology, or similar degree.
* Strong experience in using HVAC noise and/or Sound Transmission modeling software such as V-A Select, Potorff AIM, INSUL, and other proprietary modeling software.
* Strong experience using 3D modeling software such as EASE, CATT-Acoustic, Odeon, SoundPlan, CadnaA, etc.
* AutoCAD and/or Revit experience desired.
* Audiovisual system design experience desired.
* Certification and/or membership in professional organizations is a plus, although not required (INCE, ASA, Infocomm, AES)
* Experience creating audio auralizations, including audio engineering/mixing/mastering, video game audio design, and integrating audio plugins into VR scenes.
* Understanding of binaural/ambisonic recording and playback.
* Understanding of acoustic simulation e.g. raytracing, convolutional reverberation, early reflections.
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the transportation, buildings, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 9,500 people in 150 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com/usa
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee's career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be a key piece in our meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its US companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
WSP USA (and all of its US companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
Login to Apply User ID: Password:
Other Options Create an account
Return to search results
* Logged in members may also add jobs to their job cart