High School Math Coach - Delano, CA
Employment Type: Full-Time
Who we are:
Wonderful College Prep Academy is a charter network in California's Central Valley committed to providing a world-class education for all students. The Academy's mission is to graduate students prepared to earn a college degree and to put them on a promising career path for life. We believe this begins with a nurturing, engaging, community-centered school environment where students develop a strong and well-rounded academic foundation. Ultimately, this will prepare generations of leaders in the Central Valley who are critical thinkers and life-long learners.
The Academy's first school opened in Delano in 2009, serving students from across the Central Valley in grades 6-12. In 2016, we moved to our new, state-of-the-art college prep campus in Delano, and in the Fall of 2017, added an elementary school in Delano and opened a second charter school in Lost Hills. In Delano, we serve over 1,800 students in grades TK-12, while in Lost Hills, we serve almost 400 students in grades K-9 and will grow to serve students through 12th grade over the next four years.
Our students have access to technology in all-grades, from hands-on-STEM learning for younger students in a fully equipped 'maker's space' to school-provided laptops for older students. The Academy aims to provide every opportunity for our students that often is not found in public or charter schools, including the ability to graduate from high school with a free Associate Degree. Through a unique partnership with Bakersfield College, our students enroll in college classes starting in 9th grade and complete all their A-G requirements, in addition to their AS Degree requirements over the course of four years. In addition, all graduates are eligible to earn a four-year renewable college scholarship through the generous support of Lynda and Stewart Resnick.
We seek thoughtful, inclusive, skilled communicators, and creative problem-solvers who value continuous learning and who are excited to serve our students and families. Now is the time to join a team making enduring change within the Central Valley of California and beyond.
Click here to learn more about the Wonderful Company's other great philanthropic partnerships.
The Math Coach will provide instructional coaching to ensure Wonderful College Prep Academy schools have outstanding math achievement and growth. Math achievement is measured in a number of ways, including ACT, SBAC, and NWEA assessments as well as internal assessments, with the goal of ensuring all students are on track to be ready to successfully complete college level math requirements. The Coach must take a hands-on approach, working with groups and individual educators from the system-wide level to the classroom level. This will include modeling lessons, working collaboratively with educators to develop an individualized coaching plan; helping teachers plan instruction, facilitating professional development around using data to inform instruction; analyzing student work; implementation strategies that promote students doing the heavy lift, and finding ways to promote individualized teacher learning.
Here's what you'll do:
* Shared Instructional Vision: Supports a vision of powerful teaching and learning, with an urgency to prepare students to thrive in universities and career with a strong foundation in mathematics.
* Commitment to WCPA's mission: Develops sustainable action plans that incorporates concrete steps that will result in improved outcomes for students in mathematics and achievable targets until 100% of our students are proficient in mathematics.
* Innovation: Partners with the leadership team to implement innovative strategies to ensure math instruction is world-class. Deconstructs problems and develops actionable solutions and systems to enhance math programming.
* Coaching and Support: Provides instructional coaching of math teachers through routine observations and feedback, modeling, and co-teaching.
* Talent Development: Delivers high impact ongoing professional development for new and experienced math teachers.
* Intervention: Supports teachers to manage, interpret, and use assessment data and facilitate the analysis of data and student work to guide instructional decision-making. Assists teachers with the diagnosis of student difficulties in math and the planning of appropriate intervention strategies to address student misconceptions.
* Curriculum: Assists with the development of grade level pacing calendars, unit plans, teacher created assessments and interim assessments to ensure student mastery of standards, reviewing and revising materials and resources as needed.
Other leadership responsibilities, as assigned.
Here's what you'll bring to the table:
* At least four years of Math classroom teaching experience required
* Experience as a teacher leader preferred
* Graduate of a recognized college or university with a master's level or higher degree preferred
* Bilingual Spanish speaker preferred
* Passion for working with traditionally underserved communities in high performance settings
* Entrepreneurial spirit capable of managing many complex tasks with competing priorities
* Strong execution and leadership abilities including inspirational vision, conflict management, team building, mentoring and coaching, goal-setting, prioritization and strategic planning
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills, orally and in writing
* Organized and self-managed, able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously
* Excellent problem-solver
* Proven ability to collaborate and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
* Self-reflective leader who is committed to ongoing learning and growth
* Dependable and excellent at follow-through
* Commitment to our organization's mission and educational philosophy
Quality of Life in the Central Valley:
Framed by the Sierra Nevada to the east and the Coast Ranges to the west, California's Central Valley is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions and the base of The Wonderful Company's agricultural operations. This vast area enjoys a moderate climate and offers residents a high quality of life, low cost of living, and a host of diverse cultural and recreational activities. From wine tasting and hiking to rafting, fishing, skiing, and surfing -- all within a two-hour drive -- the family-friendly Central Valley has much to offer.
Wonderful College Prep Academy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Please click here to view our Privacy Notice.