DC Truck Driver
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join our Winning Team today and start your ownership journey!
WinCo Foods is a rapidly growing family of over 130 grocery stores, complete with our own distribution centers and transportation network. We're proud to operate across 10 states west of the Rockies with more than 20,000 employee owners.
At WinCo Foods we act like owners - because we are! We believe, as the Low Price Grocery Leader, that we make the lives of the communities where we operate better by giving them the best possible prices to feed their families and by focusing on the success, well-being and diversity of our employee owners.
Currently, WinCo is the third largest Employee-Owned company in the United States and is #59 on the Forbes.com list of largest privately owned companies. Did you know that WinCo has more than 500 millionaire employee-owners in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)? Once eligible, you can start your journey to ownership with an annual gift of stock equaling 20% of what you make each year. (ESOP available at most locations and subject to vesting, check the locations Summary Plan Description).
WinCo Foods offers the very best benefits in the industry, with low cost, high quality medical benefits with rates as low as $30 a month, enrollment in our ESOP after 6 months, career advancement opportunities, paid vacation and sick leave, competitive wages, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, discount program - and even voluntary benefits like Pet Insurance!
Safely and efficiently transports product to and from stores and backhaul locations in a manner and condition that meets all company policies, FMCSA and DOT requirements. Promotes and contributes to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, vendors and the public. Consistently provide friendly and engaging customer service to internal and external customers. Perform related work.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
* Deliver friendly and engaging customer service to internal and external customers by telephone, email, and in person. Model friendly, enthusiastic customer service with an emphasis of taking care of the customer.
* Follows designated routes assigned by the dispatch department for scheduled deliveries and backhauls. Ensures the operation of the class 8 tractor/trailer is in accordance with company policy and/or applicable Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations (FMCSR), Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and other local, state, or federal requirements governing motor vehicle operations.
* Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the tractor and trailer with each trip, in accordance with FMCSR and company standards including tires, headlights, taillights, fuel level, oil and coolant level, etc. Washes and fuels tractor and trailer in preparation for the next use. Completes a Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR), documenting issues and/or reporting items requiring immediate attention.
* Ensures loads are secure and travel ready including verification of freight, reefer temperature, store destination, trailer number, etc. Weighs outbound load on scale prior to travel, ensuring weight is within limit specifications for equipment as dictated by DOT and company policy. Reports issues to dispatch immediately.
* Maintains driver's daily log and transportation records utilizing paper log and/or onboard computer system; inputs trip data such as route information, equipment, duty status, PUC mileage report, etc., as required by the company and in accordance with FMCSR and DOT regulations accurately and in a timely manner.
* Drop and Hook trailers at delivery locations, and/or unloads and stages pallets of product into appropriate locations of the store based on product type utilizing a forklift and/or pallet jack. Splits and sorts pallets with multiple product types. Identifies any product damage based on load condition and document issues.
* Loads store product returns, recyclable plastic, display fixtures and other miscellaneous items to be delivered to other stores, and/or returned to the Distribution Center in accordance to company loading standards, securing the load within the trailer prior to securing the doors.
* Ensures that all safety procedures and policies are followed; complies with OSHA standards.
* Maintains a clean, neat and orderly work area.
* Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
* At least one (1) year over-the-road driving experience with 80,000 lbs. or more GVWR tractor / trailers.
* Experience with a variety of equipment in a variety of weather conditions, preferred.
* Demonstrating working knowledge and understanding of local, state and federal safety regulations Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations (FMCSR), Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and other local, state, or federal requirements governing motor vehicle operations and commercial drivers.
* Demonstrating the ability to follow direction, rules and policy as provided by management.
* Demonstrating initiative and self-direction, ability to work independently and/or in a team environment, be dependable and possess excellent time management skills.
* Consistently provide friendly and engaging customer service to internal and external customers.
* Obtain and maintain all necessary licensing and certification to safely and efficiently operate a tractor/trailer combination.
* Report to work within two (2) hours after being notified of trip assignment.
* Work various shifts and days of the week in a 24/7 operation; including nights, weekends, holidays and over-night layovers.
* Obtain necessary licensing and certification to safely and efficiently operate powered industrial forklifts, powered pallet jacks, etc.
* Occasionally move pallets up to 3,500 lbs. with a manual pallet jack.
* Stand, walk and sit throughout a shift.
* Bend, stoop, twist and turn occasionally.
* Reach, lift, stack and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to 50-100 lbs. occasionally, within the range of floor level to overhead.
* Chain and unchain tractor/trailer when needed.
* Communicate utilizing comprehensive verbal, written and inter-personal communication skills.
* Exhibit manual dexterity, hand/eye coordination, and depth perception.
* Establish and maintain good rapport with co-workers, supervisors and others.
* Prioritize and perform a variety of simultaneous tasks (multi-tasking).
* Perform primary duties safely with efficiency and accuracy.
* Use and communicate with on board computing equipment.
* Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees and outside contacts, user groups and vendors.
* Must be at least 21 years old
* Valid Class A CDL driver license.
* Acceptable Department of Motor Vehicles driving record for the past three (3) years, including acceptable Compliance Safety Accountability (CSA)Scores.
* Current resident of the local State.
Machines and Equipment Operated:
* 80,000 lb. or more GVWR tractor / trailers.
* Forklifts, Powered Pallet Jacks, Manual Pallet Jacks
* On-board computer system
* Truck/Trailer wash
Preferred Education, Experience and/or Credentials:
* Two (2) or more years over-the-road driving experience with 80,000 lbs. or more GVWR tractor / trailers.
* Double, triples endorsements and experience.
* Knowledge of the retail grocery industry and corresponding products.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of personnel may vary.
As WinCo Foods continues to grow, our diversity-from our variety of perspectives and wide range of experiences-is essential to our strategy and success. We are committed to continue to cultivate and celebrate an inclusive environment in which all employees are valued and respected regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.