Senior Member of Technical Staff, NSX Data/Control Plane
Employment Type: Full-Time
What is Vmware's Flagship NSX product?
VMware NSX is a network virtualization platform that delivers the operational model of a virtual machine for the network. Virtual networks reproduce the network model in software, allowing complex multi-tier network topologies to be created and provisioned programmatically in seconds. NSX includes a library of logical networking services - logical switches, logical routers, logical firewalls, logical load balancers, logical VPN, QoS, and distributed security. A self-service interface allows users to create custom combinations of these services in isolated software-based virtual networks that support existing applications without modification or deliver unique requirements for new application workloads. Similar to virtual machines in compute, virtual networks are programmatically provisioned and managed independent of networking hardware. Decoupling from hardware introduces agility, speed and operational efficiency that has transformed data center economics.
NSX forms the core of VMware's Virtual cloud network strategy for applying networking and security in modern data centers and Multi-cloud solutions like VMware Cloud on AWS. We are building a team for NSX Datapath to enable & provide the next generation networking functionalities for on-prem and multi-clouds. We are seeking an experienced System software development engineer to build these networking functionalities for NSX Product.
What You'll Do
* You will design & develop networking functionalities in NSX data plane comprising virtual switches, overlay modules, routers, and other NSX kernel modules and user space agents in C/C++ on ESX/Linux targeted for on-prem and cloud deployments of NSX.
* You will participate in full product development cycles and collaborate with cross functional teams to execute product goals.
* You will proactively participate in design/code reviews.
* Work on solving complex customer issues
* Bachelor's in computer science or equivalent with 8+ years of work experience [OR] Master's degree in computer science or equivalent with 6+ year of work experience
* Excellent knowledge of NFV/SDN, service chaining, kernel networking and virtualization technologies (overlay, switching, routing, firewall, vpn, etc.) and IPv4/v6 forwarding
* Prior hands-on experience in developing data path software on ESX/Linux - both kernel modules and user space applications.
* Familiarity with high-end kernel networking sub-systems such as iptables, socket implementations, firewalls, VPNs with demonstrable experience developing fast path applications and kernel modules.
* Excellent coding skills in C, C++ & Python scripting.
* Should have previously participated in multiple major product development cycles with demonstrable ownership of having delivered key features end to end.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
You get BONUS points if you have the below skill:
* Prior experience/knowledge in developing data path software for any Public clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP).
* SaaS Mindset
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-08-03
Networking & Security: IT departments are spending more on security than ever before, but the damage caused by data breaches keeps getting worse. To solve this problem, VMware's Networking and Security team is challenging traditional thinking about IT security. We take a software-based approach that brings customers new levels of usability and effectiveness in today's fast-changing public and private cloud environments. We're tackling one of IT's toughest problems by helping customers manage networking and security services through a single pane of glass across diverse environments. Our software solutions free IT environments from physical constraints to help them achieve superior agility, tighter security, and faster provisioning. Are you looking for the opportunity to help revolutionize IT security? We invite you to join our tightly knit team that's driven to quickly deliver top-quality solutions to this pressing industry problem. You'll boost your career by working on cutting-edge innovations in the cloud, security, networking, SD-WAN, and container spaces.
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.