ESXi Kernel Developer - CPU & Server Platform
Employment Type: Full-Time
VMware's ESXi is the operating system and Hypervisor of choice for majority of the servers in the world. Due to its advanced capabilities, performance, and quality, ESXi is the foundation of VMware's cloud and data center virtualization technologies. The x86 CPU & Server Platform Group team owns the core CPU, hardware platform including bring-ups, boot, chipset, drivers, interrupts, memory, exception handling, virtual platform and much more. The team engages directly with Intel and silicon partners on to work on bleeding edge technologies to keeps ESXi abreast of all the HW innovations and acceleration capabilities of futuristic silicon roadmaps. Within VMware, the team works closely with Research Groups, Platform Engineering teams at all layers of Hardware & Software. The team maintains a high bar for quality and works with partners and customers as needed to solve issues.
What you will be accountable for
In this role the engineer is expected to be able to successfully work on large systems and hardware enablement projects to collaborate across multiple cross-geo development teams. The candidate should be comfortable with various technical aspects of a project and should be able to represent the team if needed technically internally and externally with partners. In addition, the candidate would need to collaborate with engineers from partner's software development teams to jointly develop solutions on ESXi. The candidate would be part of a strong technical team that is fully motivated and engaged, working across the full stack from bootloader to configuration scripts. Further, the candidate is expected to foster a research mindset focused towards developing new solutions.
Skills & Experience
* MS or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent. Or a BS with strong operating systems development experience in the industry or comparable open-source contributions
* Excellent C programming skills.
* Good understanding of modern Intel and AMD x86-based processor architectures
* Expertise in version control and collaborative code review tools such as git, gerrit, perforce.
* Strong operating systems and kernel internals knowledge such as Linux/BSDs/Windows NT.
* Experience with writing high-quality, well-architected and well-documented code.
* Strong analytical and debugging skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Knowledge of x86 assembler, C++, Java, Perl, Go, Python and other programming languages
* Familiarity with multiple virtualization platforms
* Experience with System bring-ups, CPU, Chipset
* Familiarity with kernel performance analysis and optimization.
* Understanding of distributed system concepts
* Experience in designing and developing kernel level projects
* Hands on in developing modular and extensible code.
This position is eligible for JoinCPBU referral campaign
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-08-26
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.