Substance Use Navigator - San Mateo Medical Center
Employment Type: Full-Time
Substance Use Coordinator/ Navigator
The Substance Use Navigator (SUN) is integral to supporting medication for addiction treatment (MAT) in the acute care setting.
This paid opportunity counts for clinical experience!
The Impact You'll Make
The SUN is primarily utilized in the ED and/or inpatient setting, working with the hospital in assisting patient access to treatment. The SUN conducts brief assessments, introduces patients to treatment programs that provide MAT expertise, expedites appointments to clinics, and serves as a primary coach and advocate for their clients. The role of the SUN is a link to the community and facilitates transitions from the hospital to outpatient treatment, outreach to community partners, and linking organizations to individuals seeking treatment. The primary goal is to ensure a positive effect on patient outcomes. The SUN utilizes a patient centric approach, navigating a variety of resources to support the goals of the patient in their desire to pursue treatment options. The SUN also assists with access to other services such as financial counseling, primary care, mental health services, social services and residential treatment facilities.
Additional responsibilities include, but not limited to:
* This position will require Monday-Friday, 8-hour shifts
* 1-2 days post discharge, the Navigator will follow up with the patient by phone and focus on ensuring the patient is navigated to needed services.
* Performs duties under compliance with HIPAA and understand the importance of protecting patient information.
* Required to attend and represent the organization at training and meetings at the request of CA Bridge program of the Public Health Institute.
* Clearly communicates the purposes and services available to patients, family members and caregivers.
* Works with the patient to coordinate transition into or out of a care setting by following instructions they received from a medical professional. This may include faxing information, obtaining referrals or authorizations, arranging transportation, coordinating durable medical equipment (DME), making and confirming appointments, obtaining test results, and other patient related duties as designated.
* Practices regular communication with care team members to provide feedback around process improvement of services offered within the community, and to expand knowledge of those services that can better serve the patient and increase effectiveness of the role.
* Frequent touch bases with Program Manager and Director and assist with other duties as assigned for participation in hospital initiatives.
* Remains aware of and develops relationships with community resources and services offered, such as (and not limited to) mental health, housing, food, and employment assistance, and provides information on such services to patients as needed.
* Receives patient requests for assistance and refers patient to appropriate member of the care team for resolution unless Navigator can resolve on his/her own and within the scope of the position.
* Maintains documentation of all client encounters in excel or software based program, and completes reporting requirements according to program standards.
* Fully discloses relevant training, experience and credentials, in order to help patients, understand the scope of services the Substance Care Navigator is qualified to provide and refrains from any activity that could be construed as clinical in nature.
* Under the direction of the manager, develop an understanding and work with the care team to facilitate improvements of Adjusted Length of Stay (ALOS), re-admission reasoning and rates, Gaps in Care, health insurance, and other concepts as needed, guiding by local care scenarios.
Required Experience and Competencies:
* There is no specific degree, certification, or training requirement. High school diploma or GED, preferred.
* Nonjudgmental, energetic, positive, harm-reduction approach to assisting patients with Substance Use Disorder (SUD).
* Respect for patient confidentiality and privacy.
* Healthcare experience.
* Proficient in medical terminology.
* Knowledge of computer skills using Microsoft Outlook, Excel and e-mail.
* Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written. Ability to remain organized and manage competing priorities.
* Ability to work independently and within established time frames.
* Social Perceptiveness -being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
* Ability to interact with patients in a culturally relatable manner.
* Critical Thinking - using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
* Judgment and Decision Making - considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and present the options to the patient.
* Comfortable in communicating with medical staff including physicians.
Vituity Values: #CultureofCaring
When you are a part of Vituity, you embody a Culture of Caring by approaching every human interaction with compassion and heart. With a Servant Leadership philosophy, we focus on what we can accomplish when we put our patients and colleagues first. An Ownership Mentality means you have mutual accountability to drive positive change for Vituity as a whole. Finally, our focus on Innovation enables you to re-imagine healthcare and bring about lasting change.
Each Vitan is expected to demonstrate a commitment to service, values, and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times in interactions with physicians, patients, visitors and colleagues.
Benefits & Beyond
We care about the whole you! Our best in class competitive benefits package combine to offer opportunities for where you are today and what you may need in the future.
* Superior health plan options.
* Top Tier 401(k) retirement savings plans that offer a very generous match.
* Outstanding Paid Time Off: Three weeks vacation, Paid holidays, Sabbatical.
* Student Loan Repayment Program.
* Wellness Program.
* Professional and Career Development Program.
Apply today to join a community of healthcare professionals committed to a standard of excellence through recruiting and retaining a diverse group of talent. Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is at the heart of our organization at all levels!