Therapeutic Apheresis RN
Employment Type: Full-Time
Under the direction of the Director, Clinical Services, performs therapeutic procedures
in clinical settings (e.g. acute, critical care, out-patient) using various venous access devices, including peripheral phlebotomy. Performs procedures as ordered, monitors patient status and makes appropriate interventions to reduce adverse reactions. Coordinates with hospital staff as needed, and ensures that complete documentation is recorded. Performs central venous catheter (CVC) care as required during performance of therapeutic procedures. Gives attention to detail and conducts work according to Policy, Procedure and Regulatory Guidelines. Able to work independently, while exercising a high level of nursing judgment and in coordination with clinical staff/LifeStream physicians and Director, Clinical Services, to achieve optimal and safe patient outcomes. Loads and transports equipment and materials required to perform therapeutic apheresis at each clinical site.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Maintains and promotes the Blood Bank's values and organizational goals.
2. Practices excellent internal and external customer service. Resolves problematic customer service issues within scope of authority.
3. Maintains appropriate confidentiality regarding patient, staff and organizational issues.
4. Responsible for review and processing of therapeutic orders.
5. Prepares, loads and transports equipment and materials supplied by LifeStream and required to perform therapeutic apheresis in a clinical setting. This includes set-up, cleaning, Quality Control, Preventive Maintenance and restocking.
6. Performs therapeutic apheresis procedures and therapeutic phlebotomy on patients with oversight from a licensed LifeStream physician. Apheresis procedures include: Therapeutic Plasma Exchange, Red Blood Cell Exchange, Leukocyte Reduction, Platelet Reduction and therapeutic phlebotomy.
7. Establishes venous access using various devices (ex. central line, fistulas, grafts, ports, etc.) and provides appropriate site care.
8. Monitors patient status and responds to unique clinical situations and performs all duties according to operating procedures.
9. Maintains accurate, complete and legible records following the principles of current Good Clinical Practices and related Clinical Practices policies and procedures of the institutions where procedures are performed.
10. Maintains open and timely communication in order to affect optimal outcomes.
11. If internal transfer, may remain competent and perform Mobile RN or RN II job duties based on business need.
12. Performs all other duties, at the discretion of management, as assigned.
Must maintain a high standard for conscientious courteous and enthusiastic service to
internal and external customers and the public in general. Must make customer's needs a high priority in face-to-face or telephone contact. Must consistently deliver service in a timely, accurate, professional and friendly manner. Demonstrates a high level of problem-solving skills.
The position includes various duties involving different processes. Decisions require careful analysis and an ability to choose an appropriate course of action, including assessment of unusual circumstances and variations in approach. Combined with considerable clinical and technical knowledge related to blood banking and hemapheresis, the position requires a high degree of organizational skills and proficiency in utilizing certain computer programs and an ability to perform data entry tasks accurately.
NATURE AND EXTENT OF SUPERVISION PROVIDED TO THE POSITION:
The department supervisor works with the employee to define objectives, priorities and
deadlines, assisting the employee with unusual situations when no clear precedents exist. Employee is expected to plan and execute steps to complete the assignment following instructions, policies and previous training or accepted practices. Completed work is evaluated for soundness, appropriateness and conformity to policy. In general, the employee is expected to develop a high degree of independence in this role.
To perform this job successfully, each essential duty (as identified above) must be performed satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
2. Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
3. Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
4. Good phlebotomy skills.
5. Ability to work with equipment, including apheresis cell separators, blood warmers and infusion pumps.
6. Knowledge of good safety practices.
7. Ability to problem solve, think independently and seek direction when needed.
8. Effective collaborative working skills.
9. Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
10. Strong apheresis and medical assessment skills.
11. Computer literate; basic familiarity with Word and Excel.
12. Excellent documentation skills and good writing skills.
13. Ability to function independently.
14. Ability to perform detail-oriented job functions.
15. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
16. Ability to drive a standard passenger vehicle and transport van.
17. Ability to train and mentor as required.
Associate (AS) or Bachelor Degree (BRN) in Professional Nursing.
Minimum three months to one year generalized nursing and/or clinical experience is required. Two to three years of apheresis/hemodialysis experience is preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, ETC.
Current California license as a Registered Nurse (RN) required. Current California Driver's License
required. Current American Heart Association (AHA) CPR certification required. Current Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification required.
Refer to ADA checklist attached for further physical demands.
Standard office conditions with minimal health and safety risks. Clinical setting with direct patient exposure and any accompanying risks.
LifeStream is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V. LifeStream participates in the federal governments E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. COVID-19 vaccine required.
The employer will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Vets
Our organization is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to Accomodations@Lstream.org or call 909-386-6875 to let us know the nature of your request. A representative will respond to accommodation requests within two business days. Please note that this email/phone number is for medical/disability accommodations only and any other inquiries will not receive a response.
EEO is the Law. For more EEO information about applicant rights click here.
Our organization participates in E-Verify, for more information click here.
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug test in accordance with LifeStream's established guidelines.