Employment Type: Full-Time
Responds to fire alarms, emergency medical calls, and other emergency calls to protect life and property. Participates in the fire prevention programs and inspections, community education, station and apparatus maintenance, and training activities.
Team members are expected to perform the description below along with interacting with all guests in a welcoming, friendly, energetic and cheerful manner. Always greets the guest with a smile, works collaboratively with all Viejas team members to develop and maintain a positive relationship in delivering an unsurpassed experience at all times.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by team members within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Viejas reserves all rights to make changes to job descriptions whenever necessary.
Respond to Fire Alarms
* Responds to alarms and assists in the suppression of structural, residential, commercial, industrial, chemical, petroleum, vehicle, and wild land fires.
* Performs fire control activities and utilizes strategies in the areas of victim rescue, entry, exposure tactics, ventilation, and fire containment and extinguishment.
Responds to Medical Emergencies
* Performs primary and secondary physical assessment of ill or injured persons.
* Treats patients in accordance with San Diego County Emergency Medical Service Protocols and departmental policy and operating procedures.
* Operates radio-telephone equipment and communicates medical information to base hospital medical personnel and others.
* Compiles necessary reports and records.
* Respond to and performs skilled tasks at the scenes of emergency calls and non-emergency calls.
* Serves as a preceptor for paramedic and emergency medical technician trainees.
Fire Prevention Programs
* Participates in the fire prevention inspections of dwelling, public assemblies, and commercial, industrial, and governmental buildings, and other public establishments to ensure compliance with codes and regulations pertaining to fire safety.
* Issues orders to comply with codes, inspect and test fire protection systems. Examine the storage, handling and use of flammable and combustible liquids and other hazardous materials.
* Makes recommendations regarding correction of hazards.
* Participates in daily inspections of condition and readiness of equipment.
* Cleans, washes, and services equipment.
* Inspects, tests, and maintains equipment and pump motors including nozzles, appliances, fittings, hydrants, fire extinguishers, hand and power tools, ropes, emergency lighting equipment, rescue and first aid and related equipment.
* Performs test on the hydrants for proper functioning.
Responds to Miscellaneous Emergencies
* Responds to miscellaneous emergencies, including rescues, hazard materials, flooding, and natural disasters.
* Responds to non-emergency situations including false fire alarms, elderly assists, vehicle and residential lockouts, and other non-emergency situations.
* Assists in securing sites by directing traffic, clearing public, clearing zones for helicopter landing and related activities.
* Assists in the maintenance of fire stations and grounds.
* Performs a variety of administrative duties including maintaining property records and documentation on all job related activities, functions, apparatus, and equipment; performing reports, forms, recommendations, and other required administrative procedures.
* Responds to complaints and requests for information from the public.
* Engages in public information activities.
* Conducts station tours as needed.
* Ensures a clean, safe, hazard-free work environment is maintained.
* Performs all other duties as assigned.
* Knows and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of particular field of specialization.
* Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative.
* Refers more complex issues to higher level.
* Acts with discretion and confidentiality in handling sensitive material; required to sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement.
* Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action.
* Interacts with team members, subject matter experts, management, and department heads.
* Does not provide supervision to others.
* High school diploma or General education degree (GED).
* State Fire Academy graduate or an equivalent combination of education and experience is sufficient to perform the job.
* Paramedic licensure with accreditation in San Diego County at the time of hire (applicants will be accepted from those who are participating in the Paramedic field internship portion of a Paramedic program).
* Valid ambulance driver's license at the time of hire.
* Valid California Driver's License with appropriate firefighter endorsement within eighteen months of hire.
* Valid California State Firefighter I certificate within one year of hire.
* Possession of a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
certificate issued within the last six months from the last day of filing
is highly desirable
* Experience in Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/Paramedic, technical rope rescue, and hazardous material operation levels.
* Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and acceptance of diversity.
* Experience working with American Indian tribes and communities preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
* Knowledge of fire prevention, suppression, and victim rescue tactics and strategies.
* Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local codes, amendments, laws, regulations, and ordinances.
* Knowledge of hazardous materials, chemical chain reaction and fire behavior.
* Ability to interpret blueprints and site maps.
* Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Strong guest service skills and attention to detail.
* Working knowledge of computer systems.
* Ability to interact with the public and the tribal community.
* Ability to work a flexible schedule to accommodate company and team members' needs.
Position Type Full-Time/Regular