Principal User Experience Researcher
Employment Type: Full-Time
Bigger challenges. Bolder ideas. Global impact. At ViaSat, we're on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. We're the company behind the world's fastest satellite internet service, with technology that's helping to bridge the digital divide and improve life for our customers around the globe. By providing powerful new ways for people to connect with one another, gain greater access to education, entertainment, medical research, commerce, and much more, our team is empowering millions of customers worldwide.
We're looking for passionate, innovative professionals to join our team bridging the digital divide. You'll work in a collaborative and inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and continuous learning and provides industry-leading benefits with unmatched opportunities for career growth. Our team is fearless in pursuit of new ideas and uncompromising in our quest to become the world's first truly global Internet Service Provider.
ViaSat is looking for a Principal User Experience Researcher with experience in consumer products to join our rapidly growing and transforming Customer Experience Research & Design (CXRD) team. This role is with the Global Fixed Broadband team, focusing on consumer products that provide satellite internet to the underserved, and make information accessible on a global scale.
We are looking for a research leader and practitioner who can expand the skills of our research team, mentor our whole team, and drive customer focus across the company. Ideally, you are someone with experience in both generative research for product definition, and evaluative research for product refinement.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO DO:
* Set research objectives and project scope through close collaboration with product teams and leadership.
* Provide the insight and inspiration that drive product roadmaps.
* Lead and perform all aspects of user research, including research design, participant. qualification, moderation, synthesis, reporting and outcome, across key product areas.
* Demonstrate how research can help improve design work. Train our designers to do their own evaluative research studies. Teach the designers how to ask the right questions and form the right hypotheses.
* Mentor and coach the researcher team in their work, providing oversight and guidance as they execute studies.
* Expand the UX Research team's toolkit and expertise, consult on best research practices, and further the team's insight services.
* Leverage research insights into design principles, product direction, and project goals.
* Facilitate design solution workshops based on research insights.
* Represent and emphasize the needs and behaviors of our customers across the company.
* Partner with other research teams across Viasat to grow the research community of practice.
* Work closely with marketing and customer care to establish a multi-pronged approach to customer insight that benefits the whole company.
* Identify and document research best practices in our effort to build a research operations platform.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
* At least 7 years' experience applying and conducting customer-centered research with consumer or enterprise companies.
* At least 5 years' experience running high-impact research projects where insight drove product innovation.
* At least 2 years' experience in a lead research role, where you set direction, drove projects forward, and mentored contributors.
* Examples of proven results derived from insightful user research projects across multiple phases of the product lifecycle.
* Demonstrated capabilities in multiple forms of research synthesis and analysis.
* In-depth knowledge of generative research techniques, concept testing, and usability evaluation techniques.
* Additional knowledge in research for perception, cognition, and accessibility.
* Strong communication skills for writing and storytelling.
* Strong research presentation skills visualizing complex issues and problems in a simple and consumable fashion.
* A history of working collaboratively and successfully on cross-functional product teams.
* Experience presenting consumer insight at an executive level.
Additional Requirements and information
BA/BS or equivalent experience
Years of experience:
US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status required
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. The starting salary for this position is $154,700 annually, but an offered salary may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. This position may also be eligible for other cash or stock incentives, including Viasat's Employee Stock Purchase Program, which allows Viasat employees to purchase Viasat stock at a discount. Learn more about Viasat's comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness.