Principal AI Research Scientist-1
Employment Type: Full-Time
At U.S. Bank, we're passionate about helping customers and the communities where we live and work. The fifth-largest bank in the United States, we're one of the country's most respected, innovative and successful financial institutions. U.S. Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors.
U.S. Bank is looking for Principal AI/ML Research Scientists join a high impact AI Innovation team, supporting some of the largest initiatives in our company. The team drives innovative AI/ML initiatives on the intersection of AI/ML and financial services. The Principal AI/ML Research Scientist is a hands-on role that will be primarily responsible for driving the design, execution and delivery of new transformative AI/ML solutions.
This role will be based within the fast-paced Chief Digital Office/Innovation team, which strives for excellence in all phases of execution and lifecycle management. The ideal candidate will have the right attitude and an imaginative mind set, is creative, and has extensive experience with AI/ML research and solution delivery within an industry/academic setup.
The individual will be comfortable working in an innovation-focused environment - in particular, evaluating emerging trends and technologies to assess their feasibility and viability and functioning effectively in a fail-fast environment. The position relies on the individual to be a self-starter and a quick learner, to have a futurist mindset, and to be able to innovate and report on tasks and status proactively.
* Conducts innovative AI/ML Research, implementing AI/ML solutions through the entire research and development lifecycle (eg. problem definition, hypothesis generation, data sourcing/gathering, model/algorithm building, conducting experiments, synthetizing and communicating results)
* Designs, develops, and delivers AI/ML solutions for experimentation and eventual adaption within the enterprise
* Documents and articulates AI/ML solution design and lessons learned for each exploration and accelerated incubation.
* Collaborates with other organizations within the company to define the optimal AI/ML solution deployment architecture and hosting environment.
* Communicates research and development outputs in the form of applications, patents, opensource software and publications in AI/ML conferences/journals
* Encourages new transformative thinking and trail blazing and facilitates imagination and ideation sessions
* Collaborates with other organizations within the company to identify and flesh out new growth opportunities using AI/ML technologies
* Maintains current knowledge of the technology landscape and emerging developments.
* Works with various Product and Enterprise teams to optimize customer and user experiences
* Employs a practical approach to data access and management and eventual platform integration of AI/ML solutions
* Participates (via presenting/attending/sponsoring) in leading academic/industry conferences
* Ph.D. in Computer Science/related technical field, or equivalent practical & technical experience in AI/ML research and solution development
* Extensive programming skills in Python or equivalent (eg. Java, Scala, C++ etc.)
* Strong interest or experience in financial services
* Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical fields
* Extensive previous experience in AI/ML Research, solution development and publications in AI/ML conferences/journals
* Extensive experience in developing within cloud-based environments (e.g. Google Cloud, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure), with emphasis on GPU-enabled computing
* Experience with Python programming environment or equivalent (e.g. Java, C++, R, Scala) and related open-source AI/ML technologies such as NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras, Deeplearning4j, etc.
* Experience with API's or software packages for computer vision, deep learning, voice/speech recognition, and/or NLP, e.g. OpenCV, Gensim, BERT, SpaCy, NLTK, etc.
* Experience with multiple methods of batch and real-time streaming data access in both development and production environments, e.g. Postgres, MongoDB, SQL, NoSQL, RESTful API's, GraphQL, etc.
* Experience in collaborative software engineering practices
* Experience in rapid prototyping and delivering communications in a clear, concise, and compelling manner
Take care of yourself and your family with U.S. Bank employee benefits. We know that healthy employees are happy employees, and we believe that work/life balance should be easy to achieve. That's why we share the cost of benefits and offer a variety of programs, resources and support you need to bring your full self to work and stay present and committed to the people who matter most - your family.
Learn all about U.S. Bank employee benefits, including tuition reimbursement, retirement plans and more, by visiting usbank.com/careers.
EEO is the Law
Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal EEO is the Law poster.
U.S. Bank participates in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security E-Verify program in all facilities located in the United States and certain U.S. territories. The E-Verify program is an Internet-based employment eligibility verification system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Learn more about the E-Verify program.