Senior Research Scientist
Employment Type: Full-Time
Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to being a public company, we're now poised to leverage our domain expertise and revolutionize every aspect of lending and credit risk evaluation. We've recently expanded our offerings to include automobile refinancing and we plan to take on more verticals as the business grows.
By leveraging Upstart's AI platform, Upstart-powered banks can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart's patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart is based in San Mateo, California and Columbus, Ohio.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we'd love to hear from you!
Research Scientists with Upstart have a direct impact on our company's success. Our team consists of full-stack generalists as well as specialists in statistical modeling or machine learning as well as Machine Learning Engineers.
The fundamental goal of our Machine Learning Team is to explore new models and new data sets that can improve the accuracy of our models. With this goal comes near-limitless challenges to tackle, and that is one of the reasons why Upstart is such a unique opportunity. Whether developing new products or identifying novel approaches to core models, we are continuously seeking the next big ideas to move our business forward.
As a Senior Research Scientist, you'll have ownership across a breadth of data science projects working end-to-end from building proof-of-concepts to productionalizing models. You'll also have an opportunity to work alongside a talented team that values curiosity, humility, drive and teamwork.
What we're looking for:
* Strong academic credentials with a master's degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, or other quantitative areas of study; Ph.D. preferred
* 3+ years relevant experience with detailed understanding of building good technical solutions; ability to convert ideas into testable hypotheses and/or next steps
* Programming skills in Python and/or R
* Full-stack expertise with all steps of the modeling process from ideation to productionalizing code; OR deep expertise in either statistical modeling or machine learning
* Knowledge of machine learning, pipelines and engineering architecture helpful
* Interest in growing in technical and/or people leadership is a plus
* Enthusiasm for and alignment with Upstart's mission and values
* Strong sense of intellectual curiosity balanced with humility, drive and teamwork
* Numerically-savvy and smart with ability to operate at a speedy pace
What you'll love:
* Competitive compensation (base + bonus & equity)
* Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
* Personal development and technology & ergonomic budgets
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Clubs and Activities (game nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, book club, investing club, money discussions, photography club and basketball teams)
* Generous vacation policy
* 401(k) retirement plan
* Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.