Chief Strategy Officer - Administration
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of University of California Irvine (UCI) Health, the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) will lead efforts to drive strategy development and oversee the implementation of plans to position, grow and differentiate UCI Health as a premier academic and regional healthcare system. The CSO will provide visionary leadership and strategic direction that fosters innovation, diversity and engagement, and supports UC Irvine Health's mission, vision and values of Quality, Value, and Innovation. Through collaborating across the organization and partnering with clinical and operational leaders, this leader defines the collective strategies which include clinical program enhancements, payer and population health strategies and business development opportunities to establish strategic partnerships, innovative business models, and interdisciplinary program development with increasing focus on the strategic ambulatory growth plan for the enterprise. This highly visible role will work collaboratively across the enterprise and externally to grow UCI Health's geographic footprint in the community and enhance the reach of UCI Health through effective brand positioning to facilitate the organization's goal to enable patients and consumers to get world-class care much more easily, closer to home. The CSO will participate in UC statewide collaboratives including coordination and evaluation of strategic planning efforts, regional program development and pursuit of partnership opportunities.
In addition to the overall strategic growth plan of UCI Health, the CSO will also lead the strategic ambulatory growth plan for the enterprise, increasing UCI Health's geographic footprint in the community and facilitating the organization's goal to enable patients to get world-class care much more easily, closer to home.
The CSO will also partner with other UCI Health executives and School of Medicine leaders to identify and pursue affiliations, partnerships and other business relationships with healthcare providers and related entities which support the three organizational pillars: Quality, Value and Innovation.
Immediate priorities will be related to the opening of the new UCI Medical Complex by 2025, the planning of transitions of certain services from UCIMC-Orange to the new campus and the development of a comprehensive back-fill strategy for the Orange campus.
UCI Health currently has relationships with local hospitals and medical groups to provide access to specialty services, teaching and research, including a significant long-term partnership with Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC). The CSO will actively participate in or lead ongoing oversight of the performance and expansion of such partnerships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
* Ten (10) or more years of increasingly responsible healthcare leadership experience, with a proven track record in strategic planning, business development and contracting, as well as clinical program development.
* Ability to understand patient, consumer, and community needs, as well as and understanding of scope and level of care and settings required by patients served.
* Sound financial acumen through solid financial management experience (i.e., budgetary responsibilities; interface with decision support functions; pro forma evaluations).
* Proven strength in critical thinking as demonstrated in strategy development, business planning and payor contracting.
* Comprehensive and thorough understanding of all elements of health care delivery, including strategy, business planning, operations and finances coupled with an ability to effectively respond to elements that drive competitive advantage under dynamic conditions, such as health care industry changes, competitor actions, legal/regulatory status and changes and technological trends. Operations Management experience and/or experience in an academic health system are preferred.
* Excellent presentation and communication skills, both in one-to-one and group settings.
* Exceptional analytical skills and a demonstrated expertise in health care financial operations.
* A solid understanding of national health care issues.
* Proven record of selecting and developing high performance teams.
* Proven track record of developing and implementing strategies that led to expansion, increased market significance and improved performance of a complex healthcare enterprise.
* Record of success in developing community physician partnerships, including familiarity with legal models for practice acquisitions and/or affiliations.
* Excellent customer service skills to understand and articulate diverse clients' needs and objectives; set and manage expectations and deliver as promised on time and on budget.
* An Advanced Degree in Business, Health Care Administration; or an equivalent combination of education and experience