ChemCare Field Technician
Employment Type: Full-Time
Title: ChemCare Field Technician
San Diego, CA, US, 92103
Company: Univar Solutions USA
Requisition ID: 22213
Want to work for a company that is reimagining distribution? Join Univar Solutions, the premier global distributor of chemicals and ingredients. Our goal is to function as a direct extension of our customers' teams; to serve as an ally in their quest of business success.
At Univar Solutions, we're building on our more than 90 years of experience and drawing on deep resources - inventory and logistics experts, scientists, PhDs, procurement, customer service, sales and marketers - to deliver consultative services and an unmatched portfolio to solve customers' formulation and operational challenges. When you work for Univar Solutions, you'll play an important role in shaping how we deliver more than chemical and ingredients.
ChemCare delivers tailored end-to-end sustainable waste management solutions. As a national provider of complete and unbiased environmental programs and support, ChemCare from Univar Solutions works with manufacturing, industrial, and municipal customers to create safe, cost-effective programs that drive sustainability.
Through a variety of service offerings, our customers can outsource any piece of their waste stream, from waste services that involve chemical handling, recycling, reuse and disposal; to industrial services like tank cleaning, site remediation or high-pressure water blasting; to emergency response and training. Our goal is to fill the gaps in your operation so your staff can focus on your core business.
We are looking for qualified candidates based in the San Diego, CA area to join our ChemCare team. The candidate can also be based in or near Carlsbad, CA.
Waste Technician for customer-site work. Acts as CSR, Logistics Coordinator, and Waste Management coordinator. May require overseeing performance of subcontractors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
* Must have in depth knowledge and be able to understand and apply RCRA (Resource Conservation & Recovery Act of 1976), DOT & EPA regulations as they affect the packing, transportation, and disposal of hazardous waste.
* Work in a safe manner while constantly striving for no incidents or accidents.
* Know and understand all rules and regulations specific for customer site.
* Prepare or confirm accuracy of all paperwork associated with shipping hazardous waste
* Complete site inspections and audits.
* Collection, Consolidation, and Processing of hazardous and non-hazardous recycling items
* Arrange for profiles to be submitted to TSDF (Treatment Storage Disposal Facility) and customer for recertification.
* Track and maintain MANIFESTS submitted to TSDF and DTSC.
* Receive orders for pickup of customer wastes; develop calendar for monthly and/or quarterly pickup schedule, if applicable. Coordinate pickups with Univar ChemCare office, transporters, and TSDF's as appropriate.
* Comply with all company policies, rules and guidelines.
* Prepare for shipment and load hazardous waste destined for off-site recycling/disposal facilities.
* Prepare pickup and transport customer wastes.
* Inventory waste materials at customer locations and prepare necessary paperwork.
* Maintain a good driving record and obtain a CDL license if required.
* Utilize and develop skills and/or obtain endorsements or certifications (RCRA/DOT) that align with scope of work.
* Perform all other duties as required.
* Document and communicate near misses or incidents
* Customer-site duties may vary from job to job, but routine duties should include proper handling of any waste generated at particular site. This must include working in a safe manner to protect yourself as well as co-workers while meeting all regulations including EPA, DOT, as well as any customer or disposal facility requirements.
* Customer liaison between customer contact, disposal facility, Univar, and any contractors utilized. Identify and inform point of contact of any unsafe work conditions or practices.
The ChemCare Field Technician will interact with the following groups / teams:
* Sales, ChemCare Specialists, ChemCare Coordinators, Operations Supervisors / Managers and Regulatory Staff - regarding topics such as customer service, waste streams, pricing, regulatory, etc.
* Customer(s) - regarding profiling new waste streams, samples, pricing, non-conforming items, PO #'s, problem resolution, safety concerns, etc.
* Carriers - regarding freight rates, scheduling, etc.
* TSDF (partners) - regarding waste stream approval, disposal costs, analytical results, non-conformance resolutions, packing requirements, invoices, certificates of disposal, manifest copies, etc.
* Subcontractor(s) - regarding projects.
* Project Manager / Supervisor at customer site - point of contact.
* Determine waste stream classification.
* Identify proper EPA waste code and proper DOT shipping name assignment.
* Determine proper segregation of waste by hazard class and disposal facility requirements for lab packing and other profiled waste.
* Assist sales in monitoring performance of the health of the account and the need for new waste streams
* Knowledge and understanding of Microsoft office suite. Ability to use Access for data base management and creating tables & reports. Requires basic level understanding of Excel.
* Ability to classify waste according to RCRA, EPA, and DOT regulations.
* Ability to learn proper methods for handling hazardous materials and wastes.
* Customer service skills.
* Ability to plan and schedule workload based on current customer needs
* Ability to use and maintain respiratory protection equipment.
* High School Diploma or equivalent.
* General college science background in chemistry, biology, Environmental Science, or comparable work experience.
* Must have in depth knowledge of RCRA, and DOT, and EPA regulations, acquired through documented hands on work experience.
* Current 40-hour Hazwopper.
* Respiratory FIT test, if applicable.
* Function specific training.
* Required customer-site specific training, if applicable. Pre and Post labs
Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions:
* Physical ability to tilt back or break ~500 lb drums onto a dolly.
* Physical ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
* Pass company physical and drug screen tests. Participate in company medical surveillance program and certified to wear respirator.
* Exposure to fumes, dirt, noise, and hazardous chemicals on a daily basis. May require safety equipment and/or precautions.
Univar Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
We offer comprehensive benefits to employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD and life insurance, 401k, generous PTO and much more.