Engineering Manager, Log Ingestion and Data Replication
Employment Type: Full-Time
Twitter's Log Ingestion and Data Replication team provides the platform for distributing data to consumers across infrastructure. We develop and operate the log ingestion pipeline, processing 2-3 billion messages per minute. The team develops and operates the tooling used to consolidate, pre-process and deliver aggregated log events to streaming and batch sinks across on-premise and cloud environments.
In addition, the team is responsible for the services that manage the dataset lifecycle, including replication, retention, and scrubbing.
Data availability is key to the success of our Data Platform strategy to adopt cloud data processing capabilities. This team is central in the transformation of how data is ingested and delivered to the cloud. We closely collaborate with our customers, partners, and cloud vendors to improve the technology stack to deliver and manage data in a supportable, reliable and secure way.
We're looking for a technical and industry-experienced engineering manager to join us to lead a team of motivated and seasoned engineers. The candidate must have experience building and operating distributed systems either as an engineer or a manager.
What You'll Do
We believe passion and personality matter; as such, we need leaders that can lead diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing day to day people management with moving the business forward both technically and culturally. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders.
* Help the individuals on your team build and execute personal development plans that align with Twitter's goals and objectives, and understand how their work fits into the bigger picture.
* Scale the team by sourcing and hiring hardworking SWEs and SREs both externally and internally.
* Lead Tweeps in Twitter offices around the world and working remotely.
* Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap and strategic direction.
* Partner with other Engineering Managers across Twitter
* Participate in technical design discussions both within your team and across partner teams to ensure we build the right systems and maintain a high bar.
* Possess strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate teams.
* Bring a strong perspective and collaborative approach that inspires change, and motivates engineers to develop simple solutions to complex challenges.
* Have a consistent record of leading geographically distributed teams, ensuring all members are well integrated.
* Have experience facilitating development of a team's technical vision, strategy and roadmap.
* Have a passion for collaborating and partnering effectively with several other teams.
* Have experience building services and systems, have successfully taken projects from inception to production, and are comfortable diving in to provide leadership for major projects when needed.
* Be able to lead discussions at all levels of the organization, from software engineers to upper management, tailoring the level of technical detail to suit your audience.
* Have 2+ years experience successfully developing and managing a team of 5-8 engineers on large-scale projects that included technical deep-dives and production troubleshooting in the areas of distributed systems, code, networking, storage, and/or operating systems.
* Have 5+ years of software development, reliability, or operations engineering experience in a highly customer-focused environment.
* Have production experience with cloud vendors
* B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Twitter is what's happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We believe real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.