Front End Visualization Engineer Intern
Employment Type: Part-Time
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You’ll have the opportunity to grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have created an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, productivity, innovation, and growth.
Our internship program will give you a chance to get real world business experience and build your network before graduation. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, you will be expected to learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs, and can be expected to gain valuable insight that can further your interest in your chosen career field.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. With revenues of $30 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 70,000 employees the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world. The customers we serve fall within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
SUMMARY OF INTERNSHIP
The **FRONT END VISUALIZATION ENGINEERING INTERNSHIP** position provides an opportunity for students who are currently pursuing a degree in a design, computer science, animation, UI / HCI, data science, statistics, or similar major in your degree to get hands on experience working with finance, business analysts, and data engineers in a life sciences business environment. **THE FRONT END VISUALIZATION INTERN WILL BE A STRONG LEAD IN BUILDING NEW FRONT END INTERACTIVE VISUAL EXPERIENCES FOR THE INTERNAL FINANCE ORGANIZATION.** The position starts in June, paid working 40 hours per week through August. Opportunity exists for this position to continue through the academic year on a part-time basis to allow for class schedules.
- Prepare data for applications from visualization to statistical modeling
- Responsible for cleaning, organizing, and analyzing financial data to provide meaningful insights and opportunities
- Design and document workflows and data assets, their schemas and interfaces
- Develop code for automated workflows that source, process, and convey data (Python/SQL/R)
- Configure various platforms and vendors (AWS Redshift, Databricks,…) to enable integrations with our data workflows
- Build interactive visualization products (JS frameworks) to Wow our finance leaders in how great design can automate and streamline business decision-making
- Share results and updates in written and presentation format
- Be a visionary storyteller with a natural sensitivity for varying context
- Specific tasks will be tailored to the interns experience level and abilities
**SKILLS AND ABILITIES**
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Excellent verbal / written communication skills with attention to detail
- Familiarity and interest in data science techniques (correlation, decision trees, machine learning)
- Strong interest and knowledge in design principles
- Portfolio to share examples of visualization tools, front end platforms, design, animation, code base
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to an accredited degree in a major –UI Design, HCI, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Statistics, Math, Visual Design, Animation or related field to the description
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.