Staff Scientist, Formulation and In Vivo Delivery
Employment Type: Full-Time
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information:
* Carlsbad, CA
* Biosciences Division
How will you make an impact?
Contribute to the creation of the therapies of tomorrow. Our team is looking for an enthusiastic and talented scientist to join our in vivo RNA delivery program. This scientist will participate in development of novel lipid nanoparticle (LNP) formulations that can allow our customers to develop RNA-based therapeutics. The successful candidate will have a strong background in LNP formulation, will be proficient in animal work and will have a molecular biology experience. The scientist will be a part of a highly collaborative team environment and will work in close interaction with our internal partners around the globe. This position requires strong work ethic, independence, initiative and enthusiasm.
What will you do?
* Formulation of delivery vehicles
* Physicochemical characterization of LNPs
* Cell culture of primary cells and cell lines
* In vivo studies in mice
* Genomic editing in cell lines, primary cells and in vivo
* Flow cytometry and cell sorting, qRT-PCR and immunofluorescence analyses, ELISA
* Design of experiments, analysis of the data, and presenting the data to internal and external collaborators
* Training and supervision of the team members
* Working in close interaction with internal partners in cell biology, chemistry and manufacturing departments to ensure smooth flow of information and data
* Executing the plans according to agreed timelines
How will you get here?
* PhD degree in life sciences (Pharmaceutical Sciences/ Biochemical Engineering/ Biomedical engineering/ Chemistry/ Biology)
* 2+ years of industry and or Postdoc experience
* Strong background in formulation of delivery vehicles. The candidate must have a strong track record and experience in non-viral gene and/or RNAi delivery. Specifically, in depth knowledge and exposure to LNP-based gene delivery systems is desired.
* Expertise in physicochemical characterization of LNPs
* Prior experience with in vivo delivery
* Adept in mouse handling, organ harvesting and primary cell isolation and analyses
* Excellent communication and presentation skills shown by publications and presentations
* Knowledge of JMP software and design of experiments
* Expertise in multicolor flow cytometry and cell sorting, fluorescent and confocal microscopy
* Familiar with ELISA, ELISpot, cytokine arrays
* Prior experience in gene editing (CRISPR, TALEN, zink finger)
* Experience in transfection and transduction of primary cells
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
* Strong communication and presentation skills
* Ability to work in collaborative environment and to be an effective team member
* Ability to independently troubleshoot
* Design, plan and execute experiments independently
* Maintain detailed records of experiments
Our global team of more than 80,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.