Sr. Manager, Engineering & Facilities, Cell & Gene Therapy
Employment Type: Full-Time
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
Drug Substance Division (DSD)/Biologics Business Unit/San Francisco, USA
How will you make an impact?
When you're part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $20+ billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
In this role, the successful candidate will partner, lead and manage the Biologic's business units San Francisco site from an engineering and facilities perspective. S/he will work with the head of the Cell and Gene Therapy business unit to deliver a GMP facility in San Francisco within the stated project timeline. In addition to being a critical part of the construction and qualification process, this role will also have the responsibility to build out a team within the engineering, facilities and site services functions to maintain a GMP operation from these aspects. This position will ultimately be part of the site leadership team and will have a significant role in customer relationships and building trust with our partners.
What will you do?
* Oversee the design, construction and qualification of a new cell therapy site in San Francisco in conjunction with Thermo Fisher corporate engineering resources.
* Structures an organization to assist in the construction and long-term operation of the GMP site, including but not limited to: facilities, project engineering, metrology, site services, reliability engineering, CQV and plant engineering.
* Generates, plans and executes multi-project plan which meets financial and manufacturing targets.
* Understands and provides direction on equipment design, procurement, installation, commissioning and validation.
* Understands and provides direction on new building design, clean-room design, automation infrastructure design and general site related projects.
* Supports the generation of structured work-plans and consistently works to improve department workflow and standards.
* Works closely with Quality, Manufacturing, Validation, Facilities and Site Management to execute projects without impeding production.
* Manages monthly roll-up of project budgets and expense budget associated with process equipment repairs.
* Evaluates 'facility fit' for new projects / processes and develops estimates for any required modifications or additional equipment loads.
* Provides technical evaluation and input for Quality Assurance initiatives.
* Works closely with finance to meet financial targets of each individual project and the site from a capital expense and general expense perspective.
* Understands client relationships and assists site leadership team in securing new business at the site.
* Works with partners to understand their needs and manages the technical relationship with partners involved in the building.
* Promote a culture of continuous improvement, collaboration, transparency.
* Safeguard the team from outside distractions and obstacles to ensure key milestones and deliverables at met.
* Other duties as defined within the scope of the position.
How will you get here?
* Requires a bachelor's degree in a scientific or engineering discipline with 10+ years of experience or a master's degree in a specific scientific discipline and/or engineering with 5+ years or leadership experience.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Demonstrated experience scheduling projects, reporting project status and costs, and consulting with contractors and vendors.
* Experience in managing external consultants, contractors, vendors and multiple stakeholders.
* Experience with pharmaceutical production and GMP environments.
* Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize and deliver a clear overview of the strategy, opportunity and risks for Corporate executives.
* Strong leader who can influence and drive alignment with other senior cross-functional leaders on key strategic, operational and financial decisions.
* Demonstrated ability to lead people, work effectively with cross functional teams and to facilitate cooperation across functional boundaries.
* Ability to rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities.
* Travel up to 10% as needed to other cell therapy locations or sites within the network
* Previous experience in managing a team comprised of engineering and facilities personnel within a GMP environment
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.