Senior Staff Scientist, Molecular Biology
Employment Type: Full-Time
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
This scientist will be:
* Working at the forefront of protein and cell analysis, developing reagents, tools, analytics and workflows to analyze the cellular transcriptome, particularly at the level of the 'single cell'.
* Providing technical insight to business partners with respect to current directions in this field.
* Driving technical innovation in these areas.
* Developing reagents aimed at enabling the understanding the single cell transcriptome using advanced sequencing and/or imaging techniques.
* Leading product development programs from conception (ideation), through development (innovation) and launch (commercialization).
* Connecting with external scientists to gather 'voice of customer' and lead 'beta-testing' programs.
* Generating application data that demonstrates the utility and performance of these products in workflows associated with oncology and immunology research.
* Working independently and leading a team of scientists that will collaborate with a cross-functional team to achieve these goals.
Scope of Need
The successful individual will:
* Directly interact with senior R&D leadership, product management and project management to develop and execute project plans that support product development initiatives aimed at analyzing the transcriptome at the 'single cell' level.
* Deliver on goals according to a planned set of milestones, deliverables and timelines.
* Understand, troubleshoot and optimize NGS library preparation.
* Create intellectual property.
* Provide a significant level of independence and strong teamwork with a group of scientists that this individual will lead.
This role may involve any of the following tasks:
* Molecular biology: Enzymology, RT-PCR, PCR, TaqMan® PCR
* Sequencing: Next Generation Library Prep, Sequencing Acquisition and Analysis
* Assay design: Optimizing primer designs, RT and PCR reactions, sequencing approaches
* Cell Culture: (With Cell Biologists on the team), optimizing cell and sample preparation
* Bio-informatics: Understanding and applying bio-informatic analysis of sequencing data
* Periodic weekend work: 'As needed' based on schedule and lab density requirements
Prefer a PhD degree and post-doc in molecular biology or biochemistry.
Bachelor's degree (10+ years experience) or a Master's degree (7+ years experience) may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
* Primer and PCR design
* Ability to optimize RT and PCR reaction conditions from a variety of inputs
* Next Generation Sequencing Library Preparation (troubleshooting and optimizing)
* Next Generation Sequencing Acquisition and Analysis
* Single Cell Sequencing (any approach)
* Bio-informatics (application to sequencing)
* Experience commercializing biotechnology products
* Observe deviations from the expected outcomes
* Succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
* Work within a strong team with demonstrable influence/interpersonal skills
* Required: 3-5 years experience in molecular biology
* Required: 2-5 years experience with next generation sequencing
* Required: 1+ years experience with single cell sequencing or other single cell techniques
* Preferred: 1-3 years experience in cell culture
* Preferred: Use of bio-informatics analysis in applied to sequencing
* Preferred: 1+ years experience with automation or high-throughput applications
* Majority of working time will be spent manipulating DNA, RNA or protein in a laboratory environment.
* Occasional work may take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures.
* Products will typically be validated with cells by molecular biology techniques or protein assays.
* Recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
* Must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety standards and protocols.
* Must be able to identify deviations from expected outcomes and participate in trouble-shooting those deviations and suggesting alternatives.
* Critical to success in this position will be the individual's ability to work independently and to work as part of a high-performing team.
* Must be able to work as part of a team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) and as part of a broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management, Product Management, Quality, Operations, Marketing, Commercial).
* Occasional weekend work may be required to maintain current social distancing guidelines and project schedules.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.