Scientist I, Cell Biology
Employment Type: Full-Time
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
As a Scientist I in the Analytical Sciences Laboratory, you will support the development, qualification and execution of cell-based, nucleic acid-based, protein-based and chemistry-based assays that support quality control of cell and gene therapy products and mRNA vaccines under development and manufacturing.
What will you do?
* As a bench scientist, independently support the development, validation, assessment and execution of one or more analytical methods e.g. real time PCR (residual DNA), digital droplet PCR, UV Spectrophotometry, Sequencing, agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, CE-SDS, SEC-MALS, IEX-HPLC, Peptide Mapping, Intact Mass Analysis by LC-MS, immunoblotting, immunocytochemistry, infectivity, bioburden, endotoxin, virus screen, electron microscopy, analytical ultracentrifugation etc. (70% of the time)
* Independently develop, revise and review SOPs, work instructions, test record, test report
* Independently support technology transfers from R&D to QC and/or from client to VVS
* Work closely with R&D, manufacturing, quality and project management teams to execute assays that meet customer and manufacturing needs in support of department, site, and corporate objectives
* Independently analyze data, present results and conclusions to the team
* Independently identify areas for further innovation and support continuous improvement efforts (e.g. improved sensitivity, reduced turnaround time etc.)
* Responsible for some lab management tasks
* Apply principles and practice of quality improvement
* Other duties as assigned; travel as needed
* Keep current on Environment, Health & Safety policies, ensure safe environmental and working conditions in the Analytical Sciences labs
Work performed would support GMP manufacturing activities and release testing. This position is a M-F 8am-5pm role. Flexibility and overtime may be required on holidays and weekends to support project timelines.
How will you get here?
* A Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences or Chemical/Biological Engineering (or closely related discipline) with 4+ years experience, Master's degree with 2+ years experience
* LIMS experience preferred
* A minimum of one year of work experience within a regulated biological and/or pharmaceutical industry.
* Experience with plasmid testing, cell biology, virology and or immunology is highly desirable.