Employment Type: Full-Time
How will you make an impact?
The Corporate Counsel will be a key Legal contact supporting the high-growth Genetic Testing Solutions (GTS) business unit within the sophisticated and dynamic Genetic Sciences Division (GSD) of Thermo Fisher Scientific, a global industry science leader. The Corporate Counsel will partner with our legal teams to provide high quality strategic legal advice and draft, review, and negotiate commercial agreements with leading pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, research and manufacturing companies, government entities, research institutes and also start-ups that enable our GTS business to develop and sell products; perform services; exploit opportunities based on technology owned by our Company or third parties; purchase materials and services, and resolve disputes. Support Director, Divisional Counsel and coordinate with intellectual property counsel and work with others in the Life Sciences Legal Department to provide guidance to the business executives as well as global team members on a range of substantive legal areas.
What will you do?
* Serve as central point of contact for the legal needs of our GTS business, including providing guidance to business leaders and global team members on, and address a range of, legal, operational and business issues that impact GTS businesses and sites.
* Draft, negotiate, and, if appropriate, seek approval for the execution of a range of commercial contracts, including Business Associate Agreements (BAAs), clinical services agreements, manufacturing agreements, OEM and supply contracts, technology in-licenses, out-licenses, technical collaborations, joint development agreements, quality agreements, term sheets and other commercial and intellectual property agreements of varying complexity, as needed. Resolve commercial disputes related to same.
* Seek and provide appropriate guidance and involvement of/to other relevant functions, such as research and development, regulatory, clinical affairs, medical affairs, intellectual property, licensing, business development, finance, purchasing, accounting, sales, product management, quality, global trade compliance, procurement and marketing, to facilitate business transactions and handle legal compliance matters and requests.
* Perform analysis on legal rights, obligations, and strategies to help GTS and the Company achieve its goals and objectives.
* Participate in diligence and integration activities relating to M&A.
* Develop new and update existing contracts and collaborate with the business and other members of our GSD legal team on improving processes to ensure efficient support.
* Respond to inquiries and advise our GTS employees on laws and company policies to help ensure business planning and activities are done in accordance with applicable requirements and deliver training programs on risk management to our internal clients.
* Promote PPI (process improvement) initiatives and adopt a process improvement culture within our Life Sciences Legal organization.
How will you get here?
* J.D. degree (US) or its equivalent in another country, and admission to a state bar is required, or its equivalent in another country. A degree or significant experience working in life sciences is preferred, as is a solid understanding of patent law.
* This role requires a minimum of 6 years of relevant legal experience, including a familiarity with laws and contracts relating to selling into clinical settings as well as general contract preparation, negotiation and related activities resulting in strong and demonstrated experience with business and contract law and risk allocation.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
This position interacts with personnel at all levels of the Company as well as with external customers and business partners and requires the ability to understand and frame legal and related business issues to successfully prepare, review and negotiate commercial agreements, and resolve disputes. We are seeking someone with commercial experience and working knowledge of standard business processes that wants to work within a dynamic, diverse and fast-paced global environment and provide outstanding business partnering support by developing practical processes/approaches, and driving strategy to action and solutions to completion. The ideal candidate will be detailed oriented and have the ability to work through and tackle problems of diverse scope and moderate to high complexity as well as performing multiple tasks contemporaneously, involving commitments of moderate resources, and requiring understanding of issues surrounding contracts, technology and corporate structure. Additionally, we are seeking someone that is team oriented with strong interpersonal skills, but also has a high-level of initiative, ability to work autonomously and can recognize when to seek guidance from the Director, Divisional Counsel, General Counsel, and company personnel or consultants.