Visual Editor, Social, Standalone Products
Employment Type: Full-Time
The New York Times is looking for a visual editor to manage and produce for social platforms, especially Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
This person will establish a vision for how we can better frame, through visuals, various Times stories, recipes, videos, games, and shows for audiences on social media. They will play a crucial role in building our presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, chat apps and emerging platforms. As more platforms embrace and prioritize visual, mobile-first storytelling (ie Stories) we need someone to translate the breath of our journalism for social audiences.
* Developing and executing a strategy for enhancing our social platform visibility through better visuals.
* Collaborating with Audience teams from Audio, Video, Games, Cooking, Film and TV and developing cohesive ways to showcase various offerings on The Times's social accounts
* Collaborating with Brand on styling and messaging across Times sub-accounts
* Conceptualizing story ideas and collaborating with reporters, editors, designers, and various desks across the newsroom
* Designing, filming, animating, and directing video and still content for use on social platforms
* Partnering with other social editors on social strategies and plans for our biggest enterprise
* Developing testing strategies around medium (images, video) and message (headline, social share text), to inform a constantly updating set of best practices for engaging off-platform audiences (Social, Search, etc.)
* Partnering with editors across newsdesk to workshop on-platform framing of articles that leverages off-platform performance and readers' interest
* Interpreting data and signals to know what pieces are the right fit for audiences both on and off our platforms
* Working with journalists in the newsroom on best social media practices, including how to frame their stories for different platforms and specific audiences
* Collaborate with Audience Product on shareable formats and UI
* Creating original content as a bridge between our site and social platforms.
* Visual editing and design skills, including video editing
* Excellent news and editorial judgment
* Deep understanding of all mainstream and some emerging social channels
* Consistent record running Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc for major news outlets
* Demonstrated interest in visual storytelling
* A passion for news and a dedication to The Times and its creative content
* Strong writing and editing skills, and knowledge of Times style or the ability to absorb and apply it quickly
* Strongly preferred locations: Los Angeles, San Francisco, or New York City
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The New York Times Company will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local 'Fair Chance' laws.