Space Scientist - Sensor Developer
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
Physical Sciences Laboratories (PSL) has more than 100 specialized laboratories used to test, analyze, and troubleshoot virtually every aspect of rocket and satellite system design, development, construction, deployment, and operation. The diverse expertise of the laboratories' technical staff allows PSL to stay abreast of new technological developments and program support issues associated with rapidly evolving space systems.
This role within PSL's Space Sciences Department is focused on space environment research and the development of innovative instrumentation concepts for our customers. The role also includes reporting on scientific and application results through direct interactions with customers and corporate leadership, participation in scientific conferences, and through peer-reviewed publications. This is a full-time position based in El Segundo, CA.
What You'll Be Doing
Space can be an incredibly harsh environment for vehicles, sensors, and systems and understanding that environment is critical for mission success - apply your scientific expertise to solve hard problems in this space science and applications domain:
* Support a wide variety of critical space programs through the application of the results of space science research and the resulting knowledge base and support and grow interactions with a diverse set of customers
* Engage with space system operations communities to document and understand the role of the space environment in operations; participate in anomaly investigations; use established system assessment methods to advise on material solutions for space weather information
* Be on the cutting edge to design advanced instrumentation for laboratory and spaceflight applications to understand and characterize the space environment
* Lead and participate in proposals to customer organizations for research funding and collaborate within the Corporation and with external organizations to develop and field innovative techniques for measuring, monitoring, and forecasting space environment impacts on space systems
* Conduct scientific research in the space sciences through data analysis and modeling to further our understanding of the environmental role on space system operations and disseminate results through customer briefings and reports, conferences and workshops, and peer-reviewed publications
What You Need to be Successful
* PhD in space science, physics, engineering, or related discipline
* 5 years of experience in conducting space science research with focus on experimental techniques and data exploitation and/or instrumentation development
* Willingness to occasionally travel domestically and/or internationally to support customer needs, approximately 10% (as required)
* This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a secret security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
* 8 or more years of increasingly responsible and related scientific experience
* Experience with spaceflight hardware: requirements development and management; technology trades; ground-based testing and calibration; delivery and integration; mission operations
* Experience with exploitation of datasets of space physics measurements involving ground data management and fundamental research
* Current TS/SSBI (SCI) security clearance, which is issued by the US government is preferred. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
* Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
* Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
* Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
* 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
* Flexible spending accounts
* Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
* Relocation assistance
* Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
* Education assistance programs
* An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.