RN Full Time Nights 12hr 5-Sinatra
Employment Type: Full-Time
Desert Regional Medical Center is a 385 bed acute-care hospital classified as a stroke receiving center and level 2 trauma facility with an innovative , patient centered and evidence-based Rehabilitation Services Department. Our compassionate team provides a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services, including acute care rehabilitation, joint replacement & spinal surgery, neurosurgery, ICU, Telemetry, step-down care, skilled nursing, as well as outpatient therapy, hand and lymphedema clinics.
The Clinical Nurse assumes principal responsibility for the total nursing care, assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation of each assigned patient. The staff nurse initiates teaching and educates the patient and family/or significant other to attain optimal health. Access to all Patient Health Information for treatment purposes only.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
* Knowledge of and ability to assess and care for neurologically compromised and/or combative patients.
* Ability to care for multisystem injuries of trauma patients including those in various orthopedic and neurological braces, appliances, and tracheotomies..
* Must be capable of working with PCA, and epidural infusion pumps and technical pieces of equipment.
* Ability to prioritize and use electronic charting methods.
* Must be proficient in the care of chest tubes
* Obtains information and interpret information in terms of the patient's needs.
* Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development.
* Understands the range of treatment needed as appropriate to the ages of the patients served.
* Maintains 5 Sinatra competencies.
* Initiates interdisciplinary communications and incorporates recommendations.
* Works with other disciplines for complex discharge planning and early facilitation of discharge process.
* Utilizes current theories and knowledge for accurate assessments and evaluations
* Completes acuity evaluation on all assigned patients according to unit protocol.
* Consistently functions proficiently on the nursing unit. Including but not limited to: Manages an average caseload specific to unit Adapts to altered work patterns, sets priorities, and modifies assignments to meet patient needs utilizing available resources and staff ability and availability.
* Administers medications prescribed by physicians according to policy, including IV's, blood and blood products. Knows actions, indications, contraindications, precautions, adverse reactions, dosage and route of administration on all drugs before administering to patient.
* Verifies against MAR for accuracy on an ongoing basis.
* Functions as a charge nurse as assigned.
* Communicates changes in clinical practice to peers.
* Mentors other co-workers, functions as a resource, acts as preceptor, and other duties as assigned.
* Demonstrates knowledge of legal, ethical, and safety issues and delivers care that is safe within the scope of practice.
* Reports, documents, and takes appropriate action (by the end of shift) for incidents and or quality care issues that may affect the patient's or staff well-being.
* Consistently assesses patients for risk of injury and takes appropriate action to reduce risk and promote safety.
* Uses restraints according to policy and consistently explores other options less restrictive, with accurate documentation.
* Serves as advocate for patient/family by providing information and assists in utilization of available resources and or alternatives for making health care decisions (i.e. advanced directives, ethics consult etc.)
* Establishes or assesses proper identification prior to delivery of care.
* Requests clarification of Physician orders as necessary
* Current CA Registered Nurse License
* Current American Heart Association BLS certification (maintain current at all times)
* Effective verbal and written skills to communicate with people on all levels and able to maintain positive working relationships with parents, families, and co-workers
* Possess active listening skills
* Compassionate and non-judgmental caregiver and advocate
* Able to independently manage multiple priorities
* Must comply with Annual Health Requirements