Residential Counselor II - Behavioral Health 105
Employment Type: Full-Time
RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR II
Founded in 1965, Telecare is a rapidly growing mental health care company dedicated to making a difference for our clients, the community, and our employees. We offer an array of mental health services to adults with serious mental illness. We partner with public sector entities and behavioral health organizations and have over 130 programs and over 4,000 employees across the country. And we're growing all the time! When you work at Telecare, you help to empower thousands of individuals every day in their journeys of recovery.
Telecare is proud to have been recognized by The Bay Area Business Times as the 9th Best Place To Work In the Bay Area for 2020! This is the 18th time we have made the list!
Cordilleras is a licensed 68-bed mental health rehabilitation center (MHRC) and a licensed 49-bed adult residential facility (ARF) called The Suites. Cordilleras primarily serves San Mateo County residents, 18-59, with long histories of mental illness and multiple episodes of acute psychiatric hospitalization.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
We exist to help people with mental impairments realize their full potential.
Telecare will deliver and manage excellent services and systems of care for persons with serious mental illness.
Employment Status: Full-Time
Shift: AM, PM, or NOC
Days: Varies as needed
The Residential Counselor provides direct and indirect services to both individuals and groups of residents.
At least three (3) years of direct service experience in a mental health setting is required. High School graduation or a G.E.D. equivalent required; an AA Degree in a related field is preferred. Necessary skills include the ability to communicate well and knowledge of psychiatric treatment modalities. The ability to read, write and speak English is crucial. Must have a valid California driver's license, a DMV clearance for insurability, a vehicle (approved for safety), and proof of insurance. Applicant must be finger printed, sign under penalty of perjury that there has been no conviction of any crime, other than minor traffic offenses, and receive clearance from the Department of Justice/FBI. Must have completed first aid and CPR training or obtain certification with four (4) weeks of hire.
KEY RESULT AREAS
MISSION, VALUES AND BELIEFS
* Demonstrates the Telecare mission, purpose, values and beliefs in everyday language and contact with residents, the public and other staff members.
QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF WORK
* Provides safe, effective and efficient implementation of direct care in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
* Establishes, maintains, and co-facilitates a therapeutic relationship with residents.
* Orders, logs and distributes medication.
* Audits and updates the resident charts to ensure compliance with Community Care Licensing (CCL) and CARF requirements/standards.
* Supervises and audits the medication management to ensure compliance with CCL and CARF requirements/standards.
* Updates program and CCL forms to meet CCL and CARF requirements/standards.
* Drives residents in own vehicle when needed for appointments.
* Drives residents in the Program van on outings.
* Maintains the inventory and orders equipment and supplies for activity programs, as directed.
* Provides daily living assistance including promoting and assisting residents in developing self-help skills.
* Completes incident reports and forwards to Supervisor in compliance with established policies and procedures.
* Notifies appropriate agencies of any known or observed incidents of client abuse.
* Provides case management: schedules appointments, communicates with conservators and treatment teams, arrange and conducts group outings and activities.
* Assists with admissions and discharges.
* Provides medical assistance: takes temperatures, blood pressure, pulse and provides First Aid when needed.
TEAM MEMBER PARTICIPATION
* Participates as a team member and provides input via reporting observations, concerns and asking appropriate questions.
* Reviews and implements resident service plans.
* Actively participates in team meetings and service planning meetings as directed.
* Demonstrates knowledge of management of assaultive behavior techniques.
* Responds to emergency/crisis situations.
* Observes, records and reports residents' behavior as per applicable State, County and Telecare guidelines.
JUDGMENT, DECISION MAKING AND INITIATIVE
* Demonstrates knowledge and proper use of equipment and supplies.
* Promotes and assists residents in developing self-help skills.
* Demonstrates good judgment, decision making, and initiative at performing daily tasks.
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS
* Demonstrates a good rapport and cooperative working relationships with all members of the team; responds to co-workers with concern and promotes group morale.
* Continually focuses on assigned tasks and seeks and implements improvements as necessary.
* Understands and demonstrates the safety program in all activities.
* Protects residents from behavior that could damage themselves or others.
* Practices universal precautions at all times.
CUSTOMER AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
* Demonstrates a knowledge of Telecare's customers including clients/residents, families and governmental agencies in all interactions and conduct.
* Acts in a professional manner, always demonstrating respect and understanding of the community and neighborhood when representing Telecare in the community.
* Assures resident confidentiality.
PLANNING AND TIME UTILIZATION
* Completes and follows through with tasks and assignments, meeting expected deadlines.
* Coordinates groups and special events as directed.
ATTENDANCE AND RELIABILITY
* Understands and demonstrates knowledge of all policies associated with attendance.
* Attends all assigned in-service education classes.
* Role models excellent professional practice.
* Always dresses appropriately and professionally.
* Participates in ongoing supervision with designated supervisor.
See below for requirements.
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted and/or changed at the discretion of management.
POSITION PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
(Hours per day)
up to 3 hours
3 - 6 HOURS
6 - 8+ HOURS
Hand Use: Dominant hand Right--- Left---
Is repetitive use of hand required? YES
Simple Grasping (right hand)
Simple Grasping (left hand)
Power Grasping (right hand)
Power Grasping (left hand)
Fine Manipulation (right hand)
Fine Manipulation (left hand)
Pushing & Pulling (right hand)
Pushing and Pulling (left hand)
Reaching (above shoulder level)
Reaching (below shoulder level)
up to 3 hrs.
3 - 6 hrs.
6 - 8+ hrs.
up to 3 hrs.
3 -6 hrs.
6 - 8+ hrs.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
(If yes, briefly describe)
Driving cars, trucks, forklifts, and other equipment?
Working around equipment and machinery?
Walking on uneven ground?
Walking outside occasionally
Exposure to excessive noise?
Exposure to extremes of temperature, humidity or wetness?
Exposure to dust, gas, fumes, or chemicals?
Working at heights?
Operation of foot controls or repetitive foot movement?
Use of special visual or auditory protective equipment?
Working with bio-hazards such as: blood borne pathogens,
sewage, hospital waste, etc.
EOE AA M/F/V/Disability