Scientist I - NMR
Employment Type: Full-Time
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist I NMR at our San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist in drug discovery, you will be empowered to serve on project teams.
We are looking for a collaborative, creative and talented NMR spectroscopist to join our newly created Drug Discovery Sciences (DDS) department. DDS is a multidisciplinary team aimed at exploring and building new technologies in emergent areas of drug discovery - from targeted protein degradation to small molecules targeting RNA- and delivering transformative therapies to patients.
Scientist I-NMR/Biophysics will design, develop, and implement NMR experiments to accelerate drug discovery programs in the areas of Oncology, Neurosciences, Rare and Gastrointestinal diseases. The candidate will lead hit finding and lead optimization efforts and characterize small molecule complexes with nucleic acids and proteins using NMR and other biophysical techniques (e.g. ITC, TSA).
Scientist I-NMR/Biophysics will initiate and lead external collaborators with private and academic institutions to access new technologies and develop novel approaches to accelerate Takeda's drug discovery efforts.
* Design, develop and implement NMR experiments to support drug discovery projects for hit/lead validation and de novo hit identification strategies.
* Perform FBDD by NMR using Ligand- and/or Protein Observed methods.
* Screening fragments libraries available at Takeda and support de novo assembly of classical and/or focused fragment collections (Fragment selection, QC, mixtures design, testing and analysis).
* Binding validation and characterization by 1D and 2D homo- and hetero-nuclear NMR experiments of lead compounds against biomolecular targets.
* Proactively identify opportunities for NMR and other approaches to investigate novel drug modalities (PROTACs, small molecule targeting RNA etc.).
* Work closely with the Biophysics, Protein chemists and Structural Biologists to develop integrative approaches and address specific challenges and bottlenecks.
* Provide results in a collaborative and effective manner in cross-functional project team settings with other biophysicists, structural biologists, chemists and biologists.
* Operate and support maintenance and basic troubleshooting of NMR spectrometers.
* NMR support to Chemistry and Pharm Sci groups for small molecule structure determination/elucidation, potency determination by qNMR experiments.
* Identify and implement collaborations with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
* Ph.D.in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related discipline with at least 2 years of post-doctoral biophysics experience in a research and/or development environment, or MS degree with at least 10 years of biophysics experience, or BS degree with at least 12 years of biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent.
* Strong background in NMR spectroscopy and its application in drug discovery ranging from screening of fragment libraries (FBDD) to various approaches for validation and characterization studies.
* Deep knowledge of molecular recognition principles with a focus on reversible and irreversible small -molecules binding to biomolecular targets.
* Basic knowledge and ability to express and purify recombinant un-labeled and isotopically (15N and/or 13C) labeled proteins for NMR studies, including design and characterization of protein mutants depending on the chosen approach and project goals.
* Preferred knowledge of basic principles, applicability and limitations of other biophysical methods (E.g MS, SPR, MST etc)
* Familiar with other structural biology methods like X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy.
* Preferred knowledge of drug-like properties and their optimization in early drug discovery
* Preferred knowledge and experience in Structure-based and Ligand based design
* Demonstrates fundamental understanding of the drug discovery process
* Robust track record for identifying/ developing inhibitors of protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions proved by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions.
Decision-making and Autonomy
* Independently manages own workload
* Scientifically independent
* Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
* PhD degree in a scientific discipline, or
* MS with 6+ years experience, or
* BS with 8+ years experience
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
* 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
* Tuition reimbursement
* Company match of charitable contributions
* Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
* Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
* Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA