Employment Type: Full-Time
This is a limited-term position with an anticipated duration of approximately six months.
Performs a variety of clerical and technical tasks associated with the pre and post-analytic phases of the laboratory work flow.
* Appropriately manages laboratory information.
* Collects blood specimens using age-appropriate techniques and receives/accessions samples for testing.
* Completes registration and/or test order entry.
* May occasionally assist clinicians in special procedures.
* Processes specimens according to established protocol.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Education, including Licensure/ Certification/ Registration:
* California State Phlebotomy Technician I or II Certification is required.
* High school diploma or GED. Post-high school course work related to the medical field (e.g. medical terminology, basic anatomy, physiology, etc.) is preferred.
* Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory operations is required.
* General knowledge of blood borne pathogens and lab safety is preferred.
* Experience in one or more of the following: phlebotomy,specimen processing or clerical (lab preferred).
* Proficiency in laboratory and/or hospital information systems is highly desirable.
* Patient contact in a hospital setting is preferred.
* Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
* Must be able to work in a complex fast-paced environment and take appropriate actions in emergent situations.
* Must be able to work within established time frames with attention to detail and accuracy.