Lab Associate I Microbiology
Employment Type: Full-Time
Performs duties related to receiving, handling and processing specimens for Laboratory testing. Interacts with patients of diverse ages, backgrounds, values, beliefs and behavior. Receives, sorts and accessions specimens, assigning to appropriate pre-analytic and analytic workflow. Performs basic post-analytic tasks, including distributing reports, storing and/or retrieving specimens. Completes quality-related tasks such as documentation of work, maintaining a clean, stocked and safe work area, and monitoring pending work, as well as escalating priority work. Operates and/or uses basic pre-analytic lab equipment. Adheres to all local/state/federal regulations, codes, policies and procedures to ensure privacy and safety while delivering optimal patient care.
Laboratory Workflow: Pre-Analytic
* Receives specimens for testing; assesses specimens upon receipt according to established criteria to determine acceptability; takes action according to protocol including escalating to licensed or certified personnel for direction
* Handles and processes a variety of specimen types to prepare them for analysis; adheres to protocols to maintain specimen integrity at all times. Processing specimens includes such tasks as sorting, centrifuging, aliquotting, decanting, racking, storing, and loading an auto-processor or automated line
* Completes specimen receipt and/or order entry in the Lab Information System
* Completes complex research tasks for preparing and/or packaging specimens for transport to an outside reference laboratory
* May load specimens onto automated ''walk-away'' analyzers
* Research and resolve complex issues with specimens to ensure acceptability for testing.
Laboratory Workflow: Post-Analytic
* Verbally communicates released/reported results
* Routes, distributes and retransmits released/reported results
* Stores and retrieves specimens
* Maintains an adequate inventory of supplies in work area
* Maintains required records by completing basic documentation of pre-analytic and post-analytic work, as well as quality-related tasks
* Maintains an organized and safe work space; completes required cleaning/decontamination procedures and properly disposes of waste
* Operates, uses and maintains basic pre-analytic lab equipment (e.g. phone, computer, centrifuge, refrigerator, pipetter, incubator, pneumatic tube system, auto-processor); may load automated ''walk-away'' analyzers; escalating according to protocol when equipment is malfunctioning
* Remains knowledgeable of, and adheres to, Sutter and departmental policies, processes and procedures
* Monitors temperatures and other indicators of environmental and equipment functionality
* Participates in managing the laboratory workflow by monitoring pending work, escalating priority work, researching and resolving problems to ensure timely processing of specimens.
* Receives incoming calls for the laboratory and assists the caller as appropriate or transfers these calls to the appropriate laboratory section or person
* Communicates with customer (e.g. ordering provider, physician office staff or nursing personnel) to clarify ambiguous, unclear or duplicate test orders
Microbiology (in addition to other Accountabilities):
* Manually sets-up a variety of cultures using appropriate media for culture type and specimen source
* If in use, operates, maintains and troubleshoots automated culture set-up equipment for certain specimen types.
* Apply specialized skill such as tissue grinding and sterile technique to prepare a variety of biological specimens for set-up
High School or General Education Diploma (GED)
0-2 years' experience in a clinical laboratory and phlebotomy experience as typically acquired in a similar laboratory environment.