Engineering Manager, Core Models
Employment Type: Full-Time
A strong foundation of interoperable APIs is critical to Stripe's long-term success. Models that serve many teams and products like Line Items, Products, and Customers are and will continue to be the foundation for our APIs for the next decade. It's important that we get these APIs right: that we deeply consider the problems they are solving and that we ensure that integrating against them is nothing short of an amazing experience.
The Core Models team is responsible for ensuring that we have a standard, interoperable integration path across our APIs, and that adding additional functionality (such as tax calculation or inventory management) to an integration is a simple, incremental change. This team will also ensure that our core models satisfy the needs of both existing and future products, while having clear interfaces that help internal teams maintain product velocity and focus on the specific needs of their users.
We're looking for an engineering manager to lead and help grow a strong team of developers, build relationships with customers internally and externally, and champion our vision to simplify starting a business globally. This is an opportunity to shape a team to help design and support new API features and support teams building adjacent APIs. It's a unique environment where you can learn how Stripe maintains its reputation for multi-decade APIs and great developer experience.
## You will:
* Work with engineers, product, and design to build new customer-facing APIs and products, while maintaining the quality and improving the integration experience of existing products
* Work with teams across the company to launch surprisingly great products at scale
* Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity and quality
* Manage an excellent team of engineers, helping to develop their careers with stretch projects and excellent feedback
* Recruit a diverse team of engineers that are amongst the best in the industry, from outreach through close
* Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as part of the engineering management team
## We're looking for someone who has:
* Experience with designing APIs and building developer products
* Excellent taste in product and API design, able to work with and through product managers, designers, writers, and marketers
* The ability to thrive with a high level of autonomy and responsibility
* Experience managing engineering teams with a strong record of building high quality products
* Strong recruiting skills, with a track record of hiring new team members who are extremely effective over the long term
## What's it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry - from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We're here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity - which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We're a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.