Life Science Rsch Prof 1
Employment Type: Full-Time
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments.
About the Department of Pathology
The Department of Pathology is a founding department of the Stanford School of Medicine and one of the leading departments in the United States. Our preeminent faculty spans from emerging leaders to highly accomplished physicians and scientists, including a Nobel laureate and members of the National Academy. Our mission is to improve the diagnosis, treatment and basic understanding of human disease. This is done through discovery (research), education, and clinical care.
For more information about the department visit http://pathology.stanford.edu/
About the LAB:
The LSRP will work in the lab of Dr. Ansuman Satpathy MD PhD (Department of Pathology and Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy at Stanford University School of Medicine). The goal of the lab is to apply cutting-edge immunologic and genomic technologies to study the immune response to cancer, and to design the next-generation of cancer immunotherapies for patients. The laboratory consists of an interdisciplinary team of physicians and scientists with backgrounds in medicine, immunology, cancer, and genetics.
About the Job:
We are looking for highly motivated individuals to join our laboratory to perform technology-driven research in a highly dynamic and exciting environment. The successful candidate will in close collaboration with Caleb Lareau PhD, a post-doctoral scholar in the Satpathy lab to develop and apply existing and new computational methods to genomics and immunology technologies. Critical application areas of interest include COVID-19, cancer immunotherapy, and mitochondrial disease. The candidate will execute primarily computational analyses on experimental data derived from next-generation sequencing experiments. Further, the candidate will apply and learn a diverse set of cutting-edge analysis tools, including cloud-computing and high-performance computing using a shared cluster. Overall, this position offers a rich opportunity to engage research at the frontier of biotech fields related to health and medicine, and to prepare the candidate for the next stage of their career, either in academia or industry. We encourage candidates who wish to go on to medical or graduate school, or other similar professional career tracks in health care and science.
* Plan approaches to analyze large-scale biological data, including single-cell multi-omic data.
* Independently conduct computational experiments and analyses; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
* Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; help suggest modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with a senior researcher.
* Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
* Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
* Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on computational protocols and best practices.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
* Bachelor's degree in quantitative field, life science discipline, or related field.
* Fluency in a programming language for biological data science analyses, including R (preferred), Python (preferred), Julia, C++, Perl, and/or Matlab. Basic knowledge of the unix command line environment is required.
* Knowledge and experience in any of the following fields: immunology, molecular biology, cell biology, genomics, or related biology and bio-engineering fields.
* Other qualities of a successful application would include evidence of being self-motivated, possessing strong communication skills, and the ability and desire to perform as part of a team.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
* General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
* Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
* Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
* General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
* Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
* Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
* Perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, and write by hand.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
* Schedule: Full-time
* Job Code: 4945
* Employee Status: Regular
* Grade: E
* Requisition ID: 91062