Surgery Support Assistant - Main PACU
Employment Type: Full-Time
We are looking for a Surgery Support Assistant for the Main PACU at St. Joseph Hospital Orange.
Location: Orange, CA
Work Schedule: On call/Per diem
Shift: 8 hour, Variable Start Times
Under general direction, provides receptionist/clerical/secretarial support in area of assignment. Contributes to the realization of unit/department goals by serving/attending to customers (SJH patients, physicians, and hospital personnel) either through the telephone or computer, direct interface, or through records management.
* Assists with patient admit and discharges. Plan for patient discharge need i.e. monitors, empty drains. Transports the patient to respective areas in a safe and timely manner. Obtains a PACU nurse report on patient condition before transferring the patient. Obtains a signature from the receiving floor nurse upon transfer.
* Maintains the units physical environment at all times. Empties trash bins and clears the dirty utility room. Keeps hallways clear and returns gurneys to respective departments. Cleans and maintains gurneys and other equipment in working condition.
* Have patient slot ready for next patient. Retrieves PACU equipment from other areas. Restocks bedsides.
* Demonstrates efficient use of time and resources within established budget parameters. Participates in identification and implementation of cost saving strategies.
* Provides safe environment specific to age and development of patient population served. Adheres to all policies and procedures. Identifies safety issues or hazards in the work environment and communicates deficiencies appropriately.
* Follows scheduling guidelines and demonstrates flexibility in order to meet unit patients needs.
* May act as secretary as needed.
* Medical terminology and spelling.
* Basic knowledge of math/problem solving skills.
* Basic computer skills.
* Strong clerical/organization skills.
* Excellent phone etiquette.
* Strong interpersonal/customer relations skills.
* Effective verbal/written communication skills.
* Ability to work with minimal supervision.
* Ability to establish priorities based on customer needs.
* Flexible, able to adapt to changing work schedule and workload.
* Ability to understand physician's instructions and able to follow through.
* Preferred: Bilingual skills - English and Spanish for the receptionist and registrar roles.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Experience: Clerical or secretarial experience.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
* 1 year of hospital clerical experience.
* Admitting and/or insurance billing experience in hospital or physician's office.
* Experience with specific peri-op, scheduling, and patient charging software/systems.
Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text message with additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Compassion. Dignity. Justice. Excellence. Integrity.
These timeless values form the heart and soul of St. Joseph Hospital. They are the prime reason that we attract and retain high-caliber employees who believe in the sanctity of their work in our faith-based setting.
As a result of this affinity, most of our employees have remained with us for at least five years. Over 40 percent of our new employees were either referred by friends or applied to work at St. Joseph based on our reputation. It is little wonder, then, that retention rate is significantly higher than the average for healthcare institutions in our community.
When you take the latest in medical technology and place it in the hands of highly skilled clinicians, recognition is sure to follow. In July 2007, 2008 and 2009, St. Joseph Hospital was named one 'America's Best Hospitals' for Orthopedic Care by U. S. News and World Report. This highly esteem recognition is testimony to our unique blend medical science and compassionate, values-based care.
A haven that feels like home.
St. Joseph Hospital offers a unique environment in which healthcare givers who share a kindred spirit can do important work and grow both spiritually and professionally. Here, values-based employees view their jobs not simply as careers but also as callings.
Care to get acquainted? Then we warmly invite you to explore the many career opportunities offered by St. Joseph Hospital!
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as 'on call/per diem' refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as 'as needed basis' to fill in for staff vacancies.