Employment Type: Full-Time
We are looking for an Orthopedics Manager for the Administration Department at St. Jude Medical Center.
Location: Fullerton, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Reporting jointly to the Director of Physician Site Operations for St Jude Heritage Healthcare and Vice President of Operations for St Jude Medical Center, the integrated Orthopedic Service Line Manager directs, plans, markets and implements all facets of the Orthopedic and Spine Service Lines. The incumbent will be responsible for the overall administrative management of a multidisciplinary staff in the Orthopedic program, including physicians. The Service Line Manager is responsible for overall planning, development, coordination, implementation and management of all Orthopedic services and related marketing activities. The Director incorporates an integrated approach to Orthopedic services, which includes the continuum from rehabilitation to surgery and rehabilitation, including population health management. The Service Line Manager acts as the focal point to work across all departmental lines by cooperatively establishing and maintaining a multi-disciplinary program.
* Annually responsible for development and implementation and communication of business plan. Examines measures and continuously improves operational processes, procedures, and systems.
* Plans, prepares and assumes accountability for annual budget and capital expenditures in collaboration with SJHH and SJMC Administration and Finance Department. Monitors and ensures adherence of Service Line to budgeted financial and productivity performance targets. Prepares budget variance reports. Provides SJHH and SJMC with appropriate reports, etc. as required. Researches, develops and implements coordinates and evaluates all orthopedic services, programs. Responsible for Orthopedic Center/Radiation Orthopedic budgeting, oversight of operations, finance, business development and planning. Serves as a liaison from administration to the medical staff practice committees and governance bodies. In conjunction with the Medical Director provide leadership and strategies to recruit, retain and engage private practice physicians.
* Establishes Quality Assurance standards with Medical Director and Managers.
* Provides oversight and direction for the operational activities of the SJHH / SJMC Orthopedic site including: scheduling; staffing; risk management; supplies; payroll; and billing. Responsible for the hiring, firing, counseling and development of SJMC Orthopedic staff.
* Maintains awareness of all major competitors, current market positions, rates service levels, financial positions and operating strategies. Assists in identifying, attaining grants, contracts related to orthopedic services. Provides and participates in education programs specific to orthopedic programs/services. Continually seeks experience to enhance knowledge within area of expertise by attending conferences/lectures, etc. Develop strategies and infrastructure within the Orthopedic Program to augment market share in an increasingly competitive environment. Ability to cross departmental lines of management to organize, guide and direct the development, production, and marketing of the orthopedic product.
* Ensures that care is delivered to each patient in accordance with SJHH standards and policies and procedures; and, in related services, complies with nursing standards, Title 22, Joint Commission regulations and all applicable State licensing regulations governing SJMC personnel. Oversight of procedures and processes to ensure the American College of Surgeons and CJRR for orthopedic standards are met to ensure accreditation for the orthopedic program. Recognizes potential problems and recommends changes in a preventative proactive manner.
* Communicates effectively with physicians, nurses, co-workers and keeps lines of communication open between departments. Provides insight/direction to operating departments regarding methods that may result in improved operating performance or efficiency. Communicates operating problems noted to appropriate operating manager or administrator. Secures assurances as to steps and timing to achieve operations within the adopted standards. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Serves as the administrative leader and liaison with all service line physicians and physician activities. Coordinates care and operations with hospital administration teams including nursing.
* Stays abreast of new innovations and trends in the areas of Orthopedic treatments and services; disseminating information within the Orthopedic Program to focus staff on 'Best of Class' clinical practices, management processes and supportive technology and equipment that are relevant to St. Jude. Identifies trends in medical practice patterns and, the potential for new physician recruitment. Identifies local and regional issues that influence the position of St Jude Orthopedic Program in the larger community; Sets direction and formulates strategy for programmatic growth and service delivery within the Orthopedic Program; develops action plan(s) for executing strategy. Establishes targets and processes to monitor programmatic growth, clinical quality and effective operations within the Orthopedic Program; utilizes internal and external data sources to evaluate the efficacy of continuing, growing, and adding services and prepares related business plans.
* Promotes leaders into the appropriate positions that build their skill and experiences in service to the Orthopedic Program and Organizational goals; provides the direction for succession planning to ensure uninterrupted leadership for the Orthopedic Program. Cultivates an integrated leadership team that encourages interdepartmental cooperation, problem-solving, and service delivery. Allocates development and educational resources in a manner that ensures a ready supply of competent staff for current operations and future growth.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Strong computer skills in Excel spreadsheet, Word and database.
* Ability to work in an atmosphere with frequent interruptions and changes in workload priorities.
* Ability to consistently function in an environment that includes varying, unpredictable or crisis circumstances while exercising appropriate interpersonal and critical thinking skills.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Experience: 5 years of Experience in a responsible position demonstrating management, entrepreneurship, marketing and healthcare skills.
Licenses and Certifications: Current California License as Registered Nurse or allied health professional (PT/OT).
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Master's Degree in Health Care or related field.
Experience: Successful program development and implementation experience.
St. Jude Medical Center is a faith-based, non-profit, 384-bed, tertiary care facility, and is one of Southern California's most-respected and technologically-advanced hospitals. With nearly 700 of the area's finest physicians on staff, St. Jude offers nearly every medical specialty and sub-specialty. Whether for the birth of a baby, life-saving surgery or a routine mammogram, St. Jude continues to set the standard for medical care and offers the community the most comprehensive array of services and programs.
St. Jude Medical Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Jude Medical Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as 'on call/per diem' refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as 'as needed basis' to fill in for staff vacancies.