Manager of 3North and 2South
Employment Type: Full-Time
Advance your nursing career working at a Magnet recognized hospital known for clinical quality and patient safety. We are looking for a Manager of Nursing for the Observation Unit at St. Joseph Hospital Orange.
Location: Orange, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Provides an optimal practice environment that ensures the delivery of quality patient care. Responsible for planning, directing and managing the nursing care delivered to a designated patient population on one or more nursing units. Oversees the 24-operation of the patient care unit with accountability for leadership, budget preparation and overall fiscal management, staffing, planning, employee relations, patient satisfaction, practice guidelines for specialty, organizing and controlling. Role models proactive, collaborative working relationships across all hospital functions in an interdisciplinary approach to patient care. Develops programs, policies, procedures, and standards of care to ensure patient's nursing care needs are assessed, evaluated, and met.
* Develops and manages nursing care delivery process for a designated nursing unit ensuring that policies, procedures, standards of care, and standards of practice are consistent across the nursing organization as well as with current nursing research and evidence based practice.
* Establishes and maintains a positive, professional image of nursing. Recognizes staff contributions consistently and fosters educational and developmental opportunities for nursing staff. Uses performance reviews to motivate and encourage staff. Supports and fosters strong nursing morale on unit. Builds effective teams committed to organizational goals, fosters collaboration, and encourages as well as empowers others to achieve. Accurately assesses the strengths and developmental needs of staff and provides timely, constructive feedback that contributes to other's development. Ensures competency of staff is maintained.
* Provides positive leadership and oversees supervision to all staff on unit, particularly new employees/less experienced staff. Understands chain of command and uses authority to proactively problem solve. Achieves 100% timely performance appraisals for assigned staff.
* Ensures a proactive approach for patient rounds/excellent communication/intervention on behalf of patients and families at risk. Facilitates timely follow through on all patient problems and communicates such to appropriate MDs, managers, and other departments as necessary.
* Identifies opportunities for process/practice improvement and facilitates implementation of required changes. Reviews Incident Reporting System as well acknowledging quality trends and informs director of any emerging issues immediately. Facilitates complete and appropriate follow-up of data and problems and communicates status to staff and director.
* Utilizes central or unit based staffing system to assure schedules are balanced, complete and posted in a timely manner. Finalizes staff assignment records to ensure they are complete and accurate, based on the acuity system. Updates staffing system employee profiles on a regular basis. Recruits and hires the appropriate people to help build a strong team with complimentary strengths. Ensures ongoing, positive recognition to staff for contributions and outcomes. Provides timely, accurate information to staff via formal and informal staff meetings. Acts as a positive role model for facilitating and implementing change.
* Efficiently manages staffing and scheduling maintaining adequate staffing for patient acuity, budget, and census. Monitors the staffing costs per unit of services on a daily basis and works with clinical coordinators and charge nurses to manage within budget. Develops and implements an annual operating budget and capital budget.
* Fosters open two-way communication with staff and encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions, listens well, prepares and delivers clear presentations, conveys information clearly and effectively through both formal and informal conversation and documents. Communicates needs, issues and concerns appropriately, utilizing the chain of command.
* Develops clear and professional communication with physicians by facilitating effective and timely communication of patient-related information to medical staff, providing immediate follow-up on MD concerns, and by assuring that MD orders for treatments and medications are carried out accurately and timely. Actively participates as a member of medical staff committee as requested.
* Promotes and enhances collaborative/compassionate caring relationships with colleagues. Promotes a caring environment in the work place.
* Maintains a safe work environment by ensuring that staff adheres to all TJC, Title 22, hospital, departmental policies and procedures and other regulatory requirements. Ensures staff is competent and performing within the appropriate scope of practice. Ensures equipment is maintained in a clean and safe manner.
* Mentors a positive image of nursing regarding the values/professional/ethical/legal framework in nursing. Actively supports and participates in the shared governance process by arranging staff schedules to promote participation in unit based and council meetings.
* Excellent written and oral communication/interpersonal skills.
* Ability to problem-solve, analyze situations, think critically, give constructive feedback, communicate effectively with appropriate team members in a timely manner and supervise team members.
* Ability to develop and manage operating budgets.
* Proficiency in use of technology.
* Excellent organizational time management skills.
* Models the application of evidence based practice.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education: Master's Degree in Nursing (existing caregivers must enroll by 9/30/20 and graduate by 9/30/23).
* 5 years of Recent experience in acute hospital setting.
* 2 years of Leadership experience.
Licenses and Certifications:
* Current California Registered Nurse License.
* Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider.
* Professional certification in area of practice or related field. If promoted to role, have 12 months to attain after eligible for the exam.
Comprehensive Range of Benefits:
Professional Advancement: Individual career development plans, ongoing education, tuition reimbursement, motivating managers
Health: Medical - Cigna HMO and POS plans, Dental - Delta Care DHMO and Delta Dental PPO plans, Employee Assistance
Program Wellness: Retirement - 401(K), Paid-Time Off - Based on employment status of FT, PT, PD and
years of service, Employee Life insurance with optional family coverage, Flexible Spending Accounts, optional Pre-Paid Legal Plan
Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Compassion. Dignity. Justice. Excellence. Integrity.
These timeless values form the heart and soul of St. Joseph Hospital. They are the prime reason that we attract and retain high-caliber employees who believe in the sanctity of their work in our faith-based setting.
As a result of this affinity, most of our employees have remained with us for at least five years. Over 40 percent of our new employees were either referred by friends or applied to work at St. Joseph based on our reputation. It is little wonder, then, that retention rate is significantly higher than the average for healthcare institutions in our community.
When you take the latest in medical technology and place it in the hands of highly skilled clinicians, recognition is sure to follow. In July 2007, 2008 and 2009, St. Joseph Hospital was named one 'America's Best Hospitals' for Orthopedic Care by U. S. News and World Report. This highly esteem recognition is testimony to our unique blend medical science and compassionate, values-based care.
A haven that feels like home.
St. Joseph Hospital offers a unique environment in which healthcare givers who share a kindred spirit can do important work and grow both spiritually and professionally. Here, values-based employees view their jobs not simply as careers but also as callings.
Care to get acquainted? Then we warmly invite you to explore the many career opportunities offered by St. Joseph Hospital!
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as 'on call/per diem' refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as 'as needed basis' to fill in for staff vacancies.