Cancer Registrar - Cancer Data Management
Employment Type: Full-Time
Advance your career working at a Magnet recognized hospital known for clinical quality and patient safety. Providence St. Joseph Health offers a comprehensive range of benefits including but not limited to professional advancement, extensive health and program wellness offerings as well as competitive compensation, PTO, and retirement plans. We look forward to hearing from you!
We are looking for Cancer Registrar for the Cancer Data Management at St. Jude Medical Center.
Location: Fullerton, CA
Work Schedule: Full time 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Tumor Registrar role: Abstractor, Cancer Data Management (Cancer Registry) Performs all functional activities within the scope of the Cancer Registry to ensure that all standards and requirements of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) and the State of California Cancer Registry (CCR) are met. Performs the duties and responsibilities necessary in retrieval of core information on inpatients or outpatients, either with evidence of cancer or for newly diagnosed and/or treated cancer cases seen at St. Jude Medical Center. Each identified case is accessioned, abstracted, coded and staged in a computerized database in accordance to required ACoS and CCR guidelines. Performs staff support functions for multidisciplinary cancer conferences and Cancer Committee as needed. Assists the Cancer Registry manager with the Cancer Program Annual Report, Patient Care Evaluation Studies, special studies and report requests.
* Tumor Registrar:
* Reviews and identifies all cases with a malignant diagnosis of cancer for inclusion from case-finding sources such as: Pathology, Radiology, Radiation Therapy, and Medical Records Departments. All cases identified are reviewed against the master index/database file and suspense file.
* Maintains a 'Suspense File' of cases identified for inclusion in the Registry's database, but which have not been accessioned or abstracted.
* Maintains a permanent handwritten and computerized 'Accession Registry Log' to assess annual caseload and identification numbers.
* Obtains core information from the patient's medical record including demographics, history of cancer, diagnostic procedures, diagnosis, stage of disease (SEER & AJCC TNM), extent of disease (EOD), and treatment following the mandate of ACoS and CCR guidelines for abstracting and coding.
* Abstracts, stages, and enters data on the computer of the identified cases in accordance with ACoS and CCR guidelines. Obtains necessary information from physicians, departments and other hospitals in order to complete the patient's abstract.
* Abstracts data for Patient Care Evaluation Studies in accordance with ACoS guidelines.
* Maintains confidentiality of records in accordance with hospital and departmental policy.
* Provides support functions to Cancer Committee and multidisciplinary Breast and General Cancer Conferences.
* Tumor Registrar Role:
* Knowledge of automated data processing techniques/computers.
* Knowledge of International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9) and ICD for Oncology (ICD-O-3), SEER and AJCC TNM staging schemes for abstracting and coding.
* Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of ACoS and CCR requirements.
* Demonstrates the ability to exercise independent problem solving.
* Ability to work effectively under pressure due to changing priority interruptions.
* Ability to type 50 wpm.
* Knowledgeable in the use of computers.
* Ability to act professionally and in cooperation with others.
* Medical Terminology.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Coursework/Training Consideration of a candidate enrolled in a Cancer Registry Training Program.
* 2 years Experience as a Cancer Registrar (Tumor role).
* 6 months General office experience (Data Analyst role).
Licenses and Certifications: Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR).
Preferred Position Qualifications:
* Coursework/Training Cancer Data Management training.
Licenses and Certifications:
* Certified Cancer Registrar (Data Analyst role).
Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text message with additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
St. Jude Medical Center is a faith-based, non-profit, 384-bed, tertiary care facility, and is one of Southern California's most-respected and technologically-advanced hospitals. With nearly 700 of the area's finest physicians on staff, St. Jude offers nearly every medical specialty and sub-specialty. Whether for the birth of a baby, life-saving surgery or a routine mammogram, St. Jude continues to set the standard for medical care and offers the community the most comprehensive array of services and programs.
St. Jude Medical Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Jude Medical Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as 'on call/per diem' refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as 'as needed basis' to fill in for staff vacancies.#06022021