Staff Programmer Writer, Front-end Web Apps
Employment Type: Full-Time
Bring your talent and experience to the Splunk doc team! Join a supportive and collaborative team of writers and editors dedicated to building high-quality content for customers who use Splunk software. We wrote The Product is Docs, we created the Splunk Style Guide, and we meet regularly as a group to improve our skills and share our knowledge with each other. We engage with our peers throughout the profession to challenge assumptions and provoke discussions about the best ways to develop information, communicate with customers, and address challenges in the industry.
Bring your talent and experience to Splunk and build high-quality documentation and examples for software developers who customize and extend the Splunk platform. Join an encouraging and collaborative team of writers and editors who play a vital role in making our customers and partners productive and confident when they use Splunk software.
In this role, you'll help software developers learn about and use Splunk APIs and SDKs to deliver apps and integrations that bring new kinds of data into the Splunk platform and deliver data-based insights.
As technical writers at Splunk, we work in a fast-paced environment, collaborating daily with software engineers, product managers, other technical writers, and editors. You'll craft customer-facing documentation using GitLab and markdown. In our Agile environment, you will continuously update your content with improvements and new features.
Who are you? You are a confident writer of developer content who can design and write documentation and examples for every step of the application life cycle. You have experience with front-end app development and technologies. You understand more than one programming language, and you are interested in learning programming languages you don't already know.
This position offers continuous learning and frequent direct interaction with enthusiastic customers who rely on Splunk documentation every day to accomplish their goals.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Write technical documentation for external developers, including API and SDK reference topics, developer guides, tutorials, and more.
* Write code examples and develop sample applications.
* Design and organize documentation sets for new developer products.
* Learn complex technical information and communicate it in a readable, concise, and accurate manner.
* Collaborate with writers in other locations and coordinate shared content.
* Act as a subject matter authority for your product area by responding to customer feedback and helping colleagues with questions.
* Handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, constantly-evolving environment.
* A minimum of 5 years in a technical writing or lead writing role.
* Consistent track record of researching and writing excellent documentation and examples for developers (web technologies, SDKs, APIs).
* Ability to write simple to complex code examples.
* Comfortable leading meetings, presenting, and communicating status to a diverse set of cross-functional peers.
* Experience creating documentation designed around customer developer use cases.
* Experience using Git as a version management tool, including working with branches, creating pull requests, and resolving merge conflicts.
* Experience collaborating closely with other writers to deliver shared objectives.
* Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant professional experience.
* Experience mentoring and coaching other writers.
Join us as we build a future where data provides clarity, elevates discussion, and accelerates progress for innovators in IT, security, DevOps, and more. We are a company of diverse, engaged people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we're committed to our work, customers, having fun, and to each other's success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally-protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Splunk is an Equal Opportunity Employer.