Posting Job Description
Spectrum Networks is looking for passionate, talented and driven individuals with an eagerness to join the best and most dedicated in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment. Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant and timely news that is important to the local communities we serve. What is Spectrum Networks:
Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.The Spectrum News Environment:
Spectrum News is a 24-hour news network that requires employees to be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day will start in the middle of the night, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days). Spectrum Networks employees are
passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate 24-hour breaking news environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories that enhance daily living within our local communities. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing newsroom. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure. What we're looking for:
An Associate Producer to research and write news scripts for assigned shows and newscasts. Contribute to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write news stories for an assigned show and/or newscast, ensuring content is factually correct and written in a clear and concise conversational style.
- Verify stories are written to the pictures being edited and/or vice versa.
- Follow through on all assignments meeting required deadlines, including contributing to story ideas and development.
- Fill-in producing shows and newscasts as needed.
- Assist producers with choosing content and selecting appropriate graphics.
- Conduct pre-interviews and on-camera interviews.
- Assist producer in timing the wheel.
- Participate in shooting, scripting and editing, as directed.
- Perform editing functions as needed.
- Work in a computerized newsroom environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
Education & Experience:
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Strong broadcast news writing (AP Style) ability.
- Ability to anticipate situations and meet strict deadlines.
- Interpersonal skills and excellent collaboration skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization.
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends.
- Attention to detail.
- Familiarity with the local market.
- Knowledge of social media platforms.
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately.
- Working knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems a plus.
- Basic editing skills.
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes.
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 2+ years of television news experience. Writing samples required.
believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
More on Spectrum
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- May be required to carry production equipment, such as cameras and lights.
- On-call availability for 24x7, 365 days a year.
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to 'virtually' meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.