Senior Counsel - Labor & Employment
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Sempra Energy, we are united by our vision and committed to living our values: doing the right thing, championing people and shaping the future. We're delivering reliable energy to over 35 million consumers across North America, with a high-performance workforce anchored in these values and motivated to further Sempra's role as a premier energy infrastructure company.
A career at Sempra Energy presents the opportunity to join a team with a unique combination of diverse expertise, top talent and strong management, who all set a powerful foundation for sustainable growth and a bright future.
This attorney will work with the labor and employment law attorneys and human resources professionals at Sempra Energy and its operating companies. The labor and employment attorneys provide legal advice and counsel to the Sempra Energy companies regarding all aspects of the employment relationship and compliance with applicable laws. The labor and employment attorneys also represent each of the operating companies in the Sempra Energy family with respect to labor arbitrations and agency proceedings, and closely manage outside counsel in employment litigation matters before state and federal courts. This position will primarily focus on reviewing company policies and practices for compliance with applicable laws, regulations and applicable collective bargaining agreements, providing advice and counsel regarding workplace safety and OSHA issues, investigating complaints, and providing day to day advice and counsel to our corporate center and LNG businesses. This attorney will work at the Sempra Energy headquarters in San Diego and will be required to travel to client locations, mostly within southern California.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manage outside counsel in litigation matters.
* Oversee and conduct investigations and write investigative reports.
* Counsel human resources and labor relations personnel on all aspects of labor and employment law.
* Draft and revise employment policies and procedures.
* Advise regarding CBA interpretation and negotiations.
* Support various company initiatives and programs.
* Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
* Have superior academic credentials, including JD (Juris Doctor) and Bachelor's degree.
* 7+ years of relevant law firm experience working on complex Labor & Employment Law matters.
* Must demonstrate excellent legal analysis, strategic thinking, writing and communication skills.
* Be a member in good standing of the California bar.
* Fluent in spoken and written English.