Principal Corporate Development & Strategy Advisor
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Sempra Energy, we are united by our vision and committed to living our values: doing the right thing, championing people and shaping the future. We're delivering reliable energy to over 35 million consumers across North America, with a high-performance workforce anchored in these values and motivated to further Sempra's role as a premier energy infrastructure company.
A career at Sempra Energy presents the opportunity to join a team with a unique combination of diverse expertise, top talent and strong management, who all set a powerful foundation for sustainable growth and a bright future.
This position supports Sempra Energy's Corporate Development and M&A efforts to support the company's vision and future growth plans. The position provides financial, valuation, and strategic expertise of potential investment and divestment opportunities that align with Sempra's strategy. The position must be proficient in most technical aspects of M&A (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), and can help to solve complex and non-traditional assignments assigned to the team. Additionally, this position must be able to effectively communicate issues and solutions impacting the company to Sempra senior management, including the CFO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Financial Analysis: perform advanced financial modeling to support acquisition and divestiture efforts, including pro formas, valuation, EPS accretion/dilution, credit, etc.; partner with senior members of the team to model complex and nuanced transaction / financing structures, such as joint ventures, swaps, earnouts, non-conventional financing securities, etc.; advanced understanding of Sempra's corporate structure with the ability to anticipate financial and economic implications of transactions at various levels of the organization; advanced understanding of various financial instruments and their uses and implications on financial metrics and rating agency treatment.
* Strategic Analysis: exhibits strong creativity skills and ability to think creatively and find solutions; capability to evaluate issues from multiple angles, 'connect all of the dots', and distill the issues and solutions into a clear, concise story for Sempra senior management; ability to handle and analyze most projects, which can span several complex topics (e.g., financial, strategic, tax, commercial, corporate structure, corporate vision, etc.); exhibits commercial mindset specific to the industry and energy value chain.
* Project Management: act as logistical lead for certain phases within an M&A process, including documentation, due diligence, project calendar, and other administrative processes; coordinate efforts in a proactive manner between internal subject matter experts, Sempra senior management, and external resources / advisors; develops critical interpersonal relationships.
* Sector Ad-Hoc Analysis: create summaries and assessments of transactions, competitor activity and other market developments to keep senior management abreast of industry trends and potential M&A opportunities; perform ad-hoc analyses to support senior management-decision making (e.g., cost of capital, sector trends, etc.)
* Team Development: Coaches and helps to develop more junior-level or rotational staff on the Corporate Development team in critical functions, including EPS accretion / dilution, industry / sector trends, project management, etc.
* Strategic Plan Development: support the Corporate Strategy function and Sempra senior management in the development of the company's annual strategic plan presented to the Board.
* Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, or equivalent.
* Master's degree or professional certification (e.g., CFA) is a plus.
* Typically requires a minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience, preferably with an energy / utility company or Wall Street / investment banking.
* Can work independently with some mentorship and also partner with senior-level members of the team.