Project & Construction Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
This position supports the west coast region. Reporting to the Vice President of Capital Projects, this position is responsible for leading a wide range of infrastructure upgrade projects at all Schnitzer's facilities, ensuring our sites remain aligned with our brand as a leading sustainable recycling company.
The incumbent is responsible for overseeing a wide range of infrastructure projects and will lead third-party engineering design teams, they will interface with internal stakeholders such as Procurement, Finance, and Operations teams in addition to overseeing the construction and installation of projects from the conceptual phase through to handover.
This position will manage simultaneous project activities, with construction ongoing at multiple sites at the same time, the incumbent will coordinate with suppliers to ensure all technical specifications are met or exceeded as well as coordinate with Environmental, Health & Safety teams to ensure the required criteria for permit applications of such projects are prepared and submitted. Throughout the project execution, the incumbent will coordinate activities with all the vendors, suppliers and installers, it will be critical to ensure all site standards are met and that local operational teams are engaged appropriately.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
* Providing a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
* Works with the Operations team to understand site specific safety requirements, and ensure standards are adhered to by all team members, vendors and suppliers.
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
* Coordinates project management activities between vendors/suppliers and facility stakeholders to ensure the timely execution of projects.
* Oversees procurement activities tied to projects being managed, including but not limited to fabrication, installation services (mechanical/electrical), as well as civil and other activities.
* Ensures that all process and procedures regarding capital assets of the project adhere to compliance and company standards, as well as engineering protocols and national codes (OSHA, NEC, etc.).
* Works with the regional management teams including regional operations teams, construction project teams and equipment managers to ensure the reasonable production/installation standards set during the procurement stage are met.
* Review of engineering mechanical drawings, general arrangement drawings, shop procedures and installation drawings will be necessary. This includes mechanical and electrical schematics.
Budgeting & Forecasting
* Develops integrated project budget and schedules, and tracks progress against them.
* Assists in the development of yearly capital forecasts.
* Accurately maintains and tracks project timeline for prompt communication of any timeline improvements or impacts throughout the project life.
* Monitors supervisory practices for self and his/her indirect reports to ensure compliance with HR policies and union contracts.
* Reviews performance of indirect reports.
This position will require air travel. Visits to yards and facilities in certain regions can be expected to be under all weather conditions. Physical hazards may be present due to the equipment and machinery used throughout the scrap yard and the presence of the scrap itself. This position will require work beyond normally scheduled hours at times to support business objectives.
* Minimum of 10 years' experience with a strong background in Project Management or Construction Management of industrial/manufacturing installations, preferably in the metals recycling industry - ferrous and nonferrous metal recycling.
* Ability to review engineering drawings, shop drawings, mechanical/electrical drawings as well as read equipment manuals, blueprints, schematics, etc.
* A keen understanding of environmental permitting processes and or requirements; ability to work closely with our Environmental and Health & Safety teams.
* Ability to apply logical principles to solve practical problems and deal with a large number of variables and determine a specific course of action.
* Ability to analyze data, to develop effective equipment strategies from such analysis, and to translate these strategies into effective actions at the operational level.
* Experience utilizing project management tools such as Microsoft Project and also familiarity with Windows, Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, CAD Software, and other software tools.
* This position requires possession of a valid driver's license and the ability to drive an automobile.
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.#06022021