Intern - Part-Time - Software Quality Test Alameda
Employment Type: Part-Time
This position is an exciting opportunity for an Engineering student to do work that combines practical on-the-job experience, technical learning and professional development. The Software QA Team tests the software and firmware that goes into our products and you will assist in these efforts. These involve installing, configuring, and troubleshooting our software and firmware products. The Software Lab contains many of S&C products used for testing, all of which require installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting. The Lab is in the process of expanding, so many new devices are being added.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Working with S&C's most innovative Smart Electric Grid products. The Alameda team expertise is developing and testing all aspects of our industry leading software, including automatic Restoration Software; Interrupter, Switch and Capacitor controls firmware; and Advanced Device Management and Data Analytics software.
* Help create, modify, install and maintain our electric power distribution equipment Devices under Test (DUT) all in a safe low-voltage lab environment. Must be okay working with electric circuit boards.
* May create DUT lab tools using a programming or scripting language like shell, Perl, python or LabVIEW.
* Performs computer trouble-shooting to diagnose system problems; analyze hardware and software functionality; identify, locate, resolve and repair problems within scope of authority; record problem calls and results, contact IT when needed.
* Maintains and updates lab workstations and servers, equipment, and peripherals.
* Enforces procedures for the use of the lab area and the use of equipment, supplies, materials, software, hardware and peripherals.
* Installing, configuring and troubleshooting operating systems, system software and application software in the software lab, includes racking DUTs and other peripherals; and wiring power and network cables.
* Troubleshooting hardware/software problems on DUTs or computers. Replacing broken components on problematic-hardware.
* Troubleshooting network and other connections if they are not working. For example, trace the cable to make sure the cable is connected to the device and peripherals.
* Assist local and remote lab users with setup and configurations.
* Execute both manual and automated test cases
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
* Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate college student attending an accredited program working towards a BS or MS degree in computer engineering, computer science or a related engineering field
* Work schedule will be flexible to match your course schedules but prefer at least 20 hours a week.
* Ability to handle multiple tasks in a constantly changing environment.
* Able to work for the full school year (able to work multi-years is a plus).
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
* Occasional lifting of objects up to 40 pounds.
* Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling
* Work is performed in a computer laboratory and office environment