Summer 2021- Legal Department Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Intern Supervisor: Vice President of Legal
Department: General and Administration (Legal)
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms - gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. We are dedicated to providing an innovative space where students can engage in meaningful work and collaborate with professionals in the biotech industry through our internship program. Sangamo's internship program gives students the opportunity to flourish, grow and develop their expertise. We are a company that inspires and empowers everyone who works here to grow and be better than they believe they can be in our mission to collectively transform patients' lives.
We are seeking passionate, curious, and innovative interns to contribute to our mission. Let's build a better future together.
What Will You Get Out of This Summer Internship?
* Opportunity to obtain valuable real-world experience in a biotech setting, while gaining specific field-related exposure, and making important professional connections.
* Discover if a particular career path or field of study in the biotech industry is right for you.
* Engage in our fun and collaborative company culture while participating in team wide social events.
* Receive compensation through this paid internship.
* Consideration for future full-time positions or contract roles.
Scope of Timeline
* December: Applications open
* Mid- February: Application close (may still consider application if we have openings left)
* February through March: Offers made
* June through August: Internship period
* Must be 18 years of age prior to scheduled start date
* Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
* Must be able to commit to the full 10-12 weeks' time frame between June and August.
* Interns will be expected to work 40 hours a week.
* We accept applications from students at all degree levels: BS, MS, and PhD.
* Candidates are eligible to apply to the internship within one year of their last degree attained.
* We do not have a GPA requirement.
* Applicants must have completed at least one year of accredited university or community college course work to be considered for an internship.
* We currently do not offer visa sponsorship to interns.
INTERNSHIP PROJECT SUMMARY:
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a 1L student to join Sangamo's Summer Internship Program. The Legal Summer Intern will have an opportunity to work on a variety of legal matters across different practice areas such as intellectual property, corporate governance/SEC, transactional/contracts, compliance, labor/employment and other disciplines to gain meaningful experience. The Legal Summer Intern will assist and collaborate with attorneys and the legal staff on substantive legal matters and special projects that are pertinent to our business needs as a genomic medicine company. In addition to the substantive legal work, the Legal Summer Intern will also have an opportunity to interact and collaborate with other departments, including R&D, Clinical Operations, Technical Operations, Finance, HR, and BD to gain exposure to and to experience the cross-functional nature of an in-house legal department in a biotechnology company.
* Conduct legal research and draft memos
* Collaborate with the legal team to assess risks and problem solve
* Draft and review legal documents
* Attend meetings with internal clients
* Support other special projects
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
* Have completed 1st year of law school at the end of the 2021 spring term at a nationally accredited law school
* Have strong academic records - top 25% of law school class
* Be motivated to learn
* Be able to identify issues, assess risks and problem solve
* Be able to work and collaborate in a team setting, but also be able to work independently in a fast-pace, high volume environment
* Be flexible in adapting to changing priorities and be able to handle several tasks at one time
* Have excellent communication and organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines
* Be proficient in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
* Willingness to learn and have fun
* Have an interest in the life science/biotech industry
Any questions, please feel free to contact us here.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management's definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.