Research Assistant I - Chun Lab
Employment Type: Full-Time
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Research Assistant will be working with researchers in the Chun Lab to assist research on neurological diseases, particularly neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimers and Parkinsons disease. Handling of both mouse and human brain tissues combined with use of new technologies as well as basic cell, molecular, and histological methods will be used by the Research Assistant to support research efforts.
* Keep written records of experiments and data organization
* Maintain reagent collections and inventories
* Perform basic laboratory maintenance including ordering of reagents and supplies
* Use basic molecular biology techniques to assess DNA and RNA quality
* Cryostat and paraffin section brain samples
* Help researchers with basic and advanced histology techniques (immunohistochemistry, RNAscope)
* Culture and maintain human and mouse immortalized and primary cell lines
* Oversee Lab Assistants, undergraduates, and interns
* Handle, deliver reagents to, and collect tissues from small animals
* Perform, collect, and analyze data from mouse behavioral experiments
* Bachelors degree in biological science required, cell or molecular biology preferred
* Prior lab experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
* Must be comfortable with procedures involving small animals
* Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
* Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills with all team members
* Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
* Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Prism preferred
* Quantitative skills and bioinformatics experience preferred
* Embody the Institutes core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer M/F/Veteran/Disability committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.