Scientist, Analytical Genomics
Employment Type: Full-Time
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is developing the next generation of gene and cell therapies, and we are looking for a highly motivated Senior Scientist to join our Analytical Genomics group, to contribute to Sana's pipeline. The successful candidate will develop robust and reproducible NGS-based assays for cell and gene therapy programs across the company, and will interface with teams in Research, Technology Sciences, and Technical Operations. The ideal candidate should have an extensive technical background in genomics, especially NGS library prep, nucleic acids extraction, general molecular biology techniques and direct experience operating sequencers. A deep understanding of robust NGS assay development and optimization, characterization of analytical assay performance metrics, as well as experience generating genomic data for RUO product development or regulatory submissions, is highly desirable. This bench scientist should be passionate about developing cutting edge genomics techniques, adapting existing NGS assays, partnering effectively with the Computational Biology team to analyze NGS data, and helping cross-functional teams interpret results. The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and an agile team first mind-set will be critical to success.
What you'll do
* Design, implement and optimize NGS-based assays, develop well defined QC metrics and success criteria for each assay, and drive cross-functional projects to successful completion, under manager supervision
* Demonstrate PoC of assay, benchmark data with appropriate experimental controls and test samples, and generate analytical assay performance metrics
* Work independently to execute on NGS protocols, standard molecular biology and biochemistry techniques, and tissue culture work (as necessary). This includes optimization and modification of existing kits and protocols, and troubleshooting issues that arise during assay development
* Help in the operation and maintenance of the Analytical Genomics lab and equipment, in particular NGS sequencers
* Write up experimental results in an electronic lab notebook, document protocols in a traceable and detail-oriented manner, and ensure data and reports are properly stored in ELN/LIMS
* Collaborate with the Computational Biology teams to analyze data and automate bioinformatics analysis workflows
* Present results regularly at group meetings, and communicate effectively with a broad audience with a range of technical, analytical, and biological expertise
What we're looking for
* PhD in cell or molecular biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, or related field, w. 5+ yrs experience in academic research and/or industry. BS or MS plus 8+ yrs or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Deep subject matter expertise and an emerging leader
* Minimum of 4 years of hands-on laboratory experience with generating NGS libraries, sample extraction, nucleic acids quantification (e.g. Bioanalyzer, qPCR), and running NGS sequencers, and general molecular biology techniques (e.g. qRT-PCR, Western blot)
* In-depth experience of diverse NGS library preparation techniques, rigorous assay and product development practices, and characterization of analytical metrics used in benchmarking genomics assays
* Demonstrated success in working in cross functional teams, especially with bioinformaticians and biologists
* Outstanding verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences and attention to detail
* Ability to handle several fast-paced projects concurrently
* Ability to collaborate and be a strong team player
* Demonstrate curiosity and scientific rigor with excellent problem-solving skills
* Ability to engage in crucial conversations - providing and receiving feedback
What will separate you from the crowd
* Experience with genomics assay development in the biopharma industry, especially in the cell and gene therapy space, is a strong plus
* Experience developing NGS methods for RUO product development and/or working in a GLP / CLIA environment, is highly desirable
* Background in immunology and/or cell biology, and strong experience in cell and tissue culture, cell enrichment (e.g. FACS) and cell manipulation techniques
* Experience with automation of cell and molecular biology assays, especially sample extraction and NGS library preparation
What you should know
* Working safely on a predictable and regular basis is an essential job function for this position and the Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
How we work together
* Lead from every seat - we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
* Thrive as a team - we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
* Make it happen - we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. We cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.