Senior UX Product Designer, Emerging Experiences
Employment Type: Full-Time
We're making it easier for the world to cut the cord
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku is seeking a seasoned Interaction Designer who can craft easy-to-use and delightful product experiences across multiple platforms: TV, web, and mobile. In this role, you will partner with Product Management, Engineering, and UX Research to innovate and deliver new features on the Roku platform.
Roku has become famous for making sure each feature and product is as perfect as it can be - just look at our remote control or user interface - while still pushing the boundaries of what it means to watch TV. Outstanding user experiences come from people who have the vision to see the big picture while maintaining an incredible attention to detail -- partnering with Product Management and internalizing short-term and long-term business goals; understanding Engineering capabilities and constraints; and applying your own user-centered design skills and expertise to bring the best possible experience to the users of these critical operational tools.
Great candidates are comfortable with ambiguity, though that isn't code for 'sloppy.' Even when you aren't sure, you should move forward precisely and quickly knowing that action creates its own certainty. And because everyone here is empowered, your performance at Roku tends to come from getting others to embrace your idea. It's the most collaborative people who can drop their ego to create the win-win of success for our customers.
What you'll be doing
* Partner with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements and build unique experiences that inform, entertain, and delight our customers
* Explore a variety of design directions, analyzing the pros and cons of each, to arrive at creative, thoughtful design solutions
* Design holistically to create a cohesive and coherent product experience, utilizing design patterns
* Communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process with wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, specs, and/or lightweight prototypes
* Balance qualitative and quantitative data to make user-centered design decisions
* Conduct and participate in design reviews with a range of stakeholders across the organization
* Iterate designs based on user feedback and business needs
* Advocate for prioritization of changes, refinements, and improvements to the user experience
We're excited if you have
* 6+ years of relevant industry experience as an interaction designer
* Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the design process and creating artifacts to document the design and user experience
* Experience deigning across multiple platforms: TV, web, and mobile
* Excellent communication, facilitation, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills
* Excellent problem-solving skills and relentless attention to detail
* Strong project management skills with the ability to define, plan, and lead projects forward
* Comfort operating in a highly dynamic environment and the ability to thrive navigating ambiguity and solving complex problems
* Proficiency in UX Design tools such as Figma/Sketch (or similar) to create user interfaces
* Portfolio highlighting multiple projects demonstrating user-centered design solutions with measurable outcomes (include online portfolio link with resume)
* Familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for TV
* Relevant Bachelor's or Master's degree in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science or related field
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002
Hear from one of our leaders
Or hear directly from dozens of our Roku staff around the world at http://bit.ly/WeAreRokuVideos.