Manager, UX Design, End User Experience
Employment Type: Full-Time
Great UX comes from seeing the macro and the micro at the same time
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku is looking for an experienced Manager of User Experience Design to be a hands-on designer and leader of a team of interaction designers who craft easy-to-use, delightful experiences for tens of millions of consumers around the world.
You'll be working with Product Management, Engineering, UX Research, and other team members to define and design new features that make content on the Roku platform simple to access, easy to understand, and a joy to watch. These features will help consumers access and enjoy content on the Roku platform. You will work with other UX designers to help define design systems for the Roku platform to ensure consistency while providing a consumer-grade user experience.
Roku has become famous for making sure each feature and product is as perfect as it can be - just look at our remote control or user interface - while still pushing the boundaries of what it means to watch TV. Outstanding user experiences come from people who have the vision to see the big picture while maintaining an incredible attention to detail. This comes from partnering with Product Management and internalizing short-term and long-term business goals; understanding Engineering capabilities and constraints; and applying your own user-centered design skills and expertise to bring the best possible experience to the users of these critical operational tools.
Great candidates are comfortable with ambiguity, though that isn't code for 'sloppy.' Even when you aren't sure, you should move forward precisely and quickly, knowing that action creates its own certainty. And because everyone here is empowered, your performance at Roku tends to come from getting others to embrace your idea. It's the most collaborative people who can drop their ego to create the win-win of success for our customers.
What you'll be doing
* Partner with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements for consumer experiences and provide creative, thoughtful design solutions
* Manage, coach, and inspire a team of designers, by providing vision and direction
* Oversee high-quality design work in a fast-paced, complex environment, leading through rapidly evolving, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams
* Explore a variety of design directions, and help the team do the same, analyzing the pros and cons of each
* Balance qualitative and quantitative data to make user-centered design decisions
* Communicate the user experience in design reviews with UX management and stakeholders using wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, specs, and/or lightweight prototypes
* Iterate designs based on user feedback and business needs
We're excited if you have
* 8+ years of relevant industry experience as an interaction designer
* 3+ years managing UX designers working on consumer-facing features that span multiple platforms
* Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the design process to create artifacts that document the design and user experience
* Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
* Excellent problem-solving skills and relentless attention to detail
* Proficiency in UX Design tools such as Sketch (or similar) to create user interfaces
* Portfolio highlighting multiple projects demonstrating user-centered design (include online portfolio link with resume)
* Relevant Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in areas such as Human Factors, HCI, Cognitive Science, Psychology, etc.
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
Hear from UX leadership
Or hear directly from dozens of our Roku staff around the world.