Head of Developer Relations
Employment Type: Full-Time
The revolution won't be televised. It will be streamed. Want to help us build it?
Roku Is Changing How the World Watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the Role
We are looking for an exceptional and inspirational Head of Developer Relations to join us. We want to win the hearts and minds of developers everywhere by delivering value through innovative products and technical thought leadership. In this role, you will make it easier for our content publishers and developers to benefit from new platform features that we are launching, establish and promote channels for the community to engage and provide feedback and build a following of raving fans. This is a highly visible and prestigious role responsible for establishing and leading a Developer Relations function at Roku that supports our expanding portfolio of products and international growth. You must be a deeply technical storyteller who enjoys connecting with other technical practitioners and influencers and help them elevate their craft.
We're curious, a little intense, fun and are obsessed with helping our users, developers and partners thrive. Does that sound like an exciting place to work?
What You'll Be Doing
* Build, support and inspire a community of developers and content publishers through proactive direct engagement, with a bias toward 'learning and listening' and transforming community members to fans and advocates of the product portfolio we are building.
* Establish yourself as a trusted technical peer and community advocate by generating innovative content.
* Develop workshops, lead demos, hackathons and meet-ups to help developers understand and evaluate our product capabilities and contribute to our innovations.
* Proactively engage and build relationships with the top media/entertainment thought leaders and earn their trust to advocate the benefits and values of our product to media/entertainment developer community.
* Work with product management, UX and engineering to source feedback to make our products, portal, integrations, services and documentation better.
* Design and execute a plan to improve the developer experience with the products, developer portal which will include highly technical content and meetup and other events to promote the products and solutions to developers.
We're excited if you have
* 10+ years of experience in a direct, hands-on community or end-user focused role such as developer advocacy and technical community management
* 2+ years of experience as a developer or engineer across any relevant disciplines including developing for a platform, media channels/app development or related fields
* Have a strong vision for where the industry is going, and stay on top of new technologies, stacks, build proof-of-concept prototypes to try out new ideas or stitch together end-to-end solutions
* Exceptional leadership skills that include, but are not limited to selection, team management, performance management and talent planning
* Experience speaking at technology conferences, blogging and writing technical articles and contributing to popular open-source projects.
* Proven experience guiding and growing a community where you were a key factor in driving measurable positive outcomes.
* Proven willingness & ability to build plans out of chaos, to manage multiple work streams, to effectively set expectations among stakeholders, and to prioritize your work from a long list of asks.
* Deep familiarity building developer portals and roadmap activity.
* An established presence online as a thinker & leader in this space is preferred but not required (you will do this as part of this job!)
* Excellent communication skills as both a strong technical writer and a dynamic public speaker
* Based in San Jose and willingness to travel 30% post-pandemic
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.