Senior HMI Architect
Employment Type: Full-Time
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what's possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Vehicle Experience Group is looking for a Senior HMI Architect with expertise in defining in-vehicle human machine interactions. As a Senior HMI Architect, you will be responsible for designing holistic user experiences across multiple platforms (like vehicle body, infotainment, remote devices) and touchpoints (such as outside, inside and away from the vehicle), documenting the over-all user journey down to discrete user stories and individual requirements, and communicating with cross-functional teams throughout the business to create the correct user experience.
The Vehicle Experience Group consists of experts from the automotive, entertainment, internet, and consumer electronics industries.
* You will help the team define the overall Human Machine Interface and User Experience strategy for vehicle functionality across a variety of in-vehicle features.
* You will participate in user journey definition together with a cross functional team that includes designers, hardware and software engineers, vehicle and industrial designers,
* You will lead the cross-function user experience design and development process while working with Hardware, Software, and Packaging Engineers, User Experience Designers, and Homologation, Brand, and Product teams to achieve correct user functionality.
* You will be responsible for documenting user stories, requirements, and functional flows.
* You will help the team conduct research and benchmarking exercises for various market and concept vehicles.
* You will participate in usability studies on vehicle hardware and features, analyze findings, and document results along with recommendations.
* You will help build hardware/software standards and guidelines for future vehicle programs.
* At least 5 years of experience defining in-vehicle features and user experiences.
* At least 3 years of usability testing experience.
* Extensive experience in researching and benchmarking competitive vehicles.
* Expert-level skills writing user stories, HMI requirements and standards, and architecting functional flows.
* Experience and a passion for championing the position of the end user to deliver best-in-class vehicle functions.
* Experience communicating objectives and desired outcomes with Hardware, Software, and Packaging Engineers, User Experience Designers, and Homologation, Brand, and Product teams
* Firm understanding of in-vehicle driver distraction, engineering guidelines, and automotive laws and regulations for both domestic and international programs.
* Experience with rapid fabrication and prototyping methods is a plus.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.