Manager, Database Reliability Engineering
Employment Type: Full-Time
Qualys' database reliability engineering (DBRE) team builds and operates multiple data platforms supporting our 19+ Qualys products deployed across 7 global multi-tenant deployments and over 100 on-premise deployments. We use a mix of Cassandra, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Ceph, Redis, Oracle, JanusGraph, etc. and have large deployments of these data technologies across our platforms. As a manager in the DBRE group, you will have ownership of all technical and operational aspects of our data platforms. Partnering with our data platform engineering group, various product groups, and a growing DBRE team, you will be responsible for building, sizing, deploying and operationally managing and monitoring our data platforms across all our environments. This is a great opportunity to work on challenging and business-impacting projects and be part of a team managing very large open-source data platforms that are hundreds of terabytes or petabytes in size.
* A very strong sense of ownership of Qualys' big-data platform that scales to meet/exceed the demands of processing over a 100 million transactions and terabytes of data per day.
* Architecture, performance, scalability, high availability, automated deployments, monitoring and security will be your primary goals for delivering a first-rate experience to our customers.
* Work closely with engineering and operations to provide a very robust data platform infrastructure across over 100 production environments to support Qualys' business objectives.
* 5-7 years hands-on experience running Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Redis and Kafka, etc. in public (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.) or private clouds at large scale.
* Strong operations, planning and execution experience.
* Strong scripting and automation skills.
* Good knowledge of performance tuning of various databases.
* Knowledge of JVM concepts like garbage collection, heap, stack, profiling, class loading, etc.
* Ability to clearly articulate and communicate technical concepts within and across teams.
* Strong writing, presentation and listening skills.
* Experience with container and orchestration technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
* Experience with monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Graphite and Grafana.
* Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
* In-depth experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment pipelines.
* Exposure to Maven, Ant or Gradle for builds.
Bonus Points if you have:
* Experience with applying data encryption and data security standards.
* Experience with HashiCorp technologies such as Consul, Vault, Terraform and Vagrant.